Several months ago, the arthritis in my thumb began inching toward excruciating. My doctor prescribed a hand brace and copious amounts of Advil to bring down the swelling and the results have not been terrific. Some days my entire hand burns and I have trouble using it at all so I have decided to try an urban myth that promises great relief.
I know that cortisone shots will relieve inflammation and reduce pain, but they also degenerate the thumb joint, so I have not gone that route.
Last month a friend recommended something she’s been using that I thought sounded insane. The theory is that a daily regimen of ingesting gin-soaked raisins will help cure arthritis. I thought she was kidding but a quick look around the internet turns up many recipes and testimonials about its effectiveness.
It sounded so unlikely I checked it on Snopes, the definitive Internet reference source for urban legends, folklore, myths, rumors
Here is a recipe:
- 1 cup golden raisins (do not substitute for any other dried fruit or color of raisin)
- 1 -2-cup gin (enough to just cover the raisins)
- Before you get started, make sure to read the label of your gin to check that it is made from or includes juniper berries. This is critical!
- Put the raisins in a shallow glass container and pour enough gin into it to just cover the raisins.
- Cover the container with cheesecloth and allow to stand until the raisins absorb the gin and the remaining liquid evaporates, about one week.
- Each day, eat NINE of these “drunken” raisins.
I let my raisins sit for 2 weeks, not to make them stronger but because they looked gross. Some of my raisins didn’t plump up. They actually looked pretty nasty so I assume they were too dried out to start with and I tossed them.
I’m now eating 9 drunken raisins each morning and will keep you posted. Gin soaked raisins are an acquired taste but if they help the pain, you’ll be the second to know.
How do you treat your arthritis? I’m anxious to learn anything you can share!!
Let’s talk about another kind of therapy. Retail therapy! There’re some awesome sales this weekend that I’ve linked below. I’m taking advantage of the Dermstore one because they carry all my cruelty-free sun protection and organic products.
Loft is giving 50% off select merchandise, no code necessary.
J.Crew is offering 50% off sale with the code YAYSALE.
Saks is offering 10% off sitewide including beauty and fragrance with the code SAKS10OFF.
Dermstore is giving 25% off sitewide with the code HAPPY18. This is my new favorite place to buy skin and sun care products. They seem to have everything and now it’s 25% off!
We’re organizing our “stuff” to take and sell at an antique fair tomorrow, so wish me luck!!
Thanks for reading and have a great day!
Affiliate links in this post may generate income for AWSL.