Would You Wear It – Red Side Stripes

Would You Wear It – Red Side Stripes

Happy Saturday ladies. I was missing in action a bit last week. Mr. AWSL and I went to visit some friends in Carmel for several days and I took that chance to unplug. Today we’re heading up to Lake Tahoe to visit other friends. They’re predicting snow so we hope to get there before it gets too deep. We feel so blessed to have friends whose homes are in such gorgeous places:)

It’s time for would you wear it. Each Saturday my friend Pam and I share a mannequin we’ve found and ask if you would wear what she’s wearing.

We do this to better understand which fashions you find relevant to your lifestyle, body shape, and style goals. I ran across this mannequin in Nordstrom and thought it was interesting for many reasons.

Here’s a closer look at the pants.red stripe on side of tuxedo pants from Nordstrom

So tell me, ladies, would you wear this look and why or why not as it fits your style and lifestyle?

Here are the weekend sale updates:

Talbots – an extra 50% off all sale and $5 off every sale sweater.

Chico’s – semi-annual sale with up to 70% off.

Ann Taylor – 50% off select full-priced with the code MUSTHAVE and 50% extra off all sale.

Loft – 50% off select styles

J. Jill – 30% off full priced styles with the code  30JAN19.

Dillards – winter clearance with up t0 40% off new markdowns.

Let’s pop over to see what Pam’s mannequin is wearing here.

Thanks for reading and have a great day.

Affiliate links within this post may generate income for AWSL at no additional cost to you.

1. January 12, 2019 / 3:51 am

This is overall a cute look, but I would not wear it. I think the red stripe looks a little like a mistake (it looks like it was sewed on a an after thought) and would draw attention to someone with hips and not slim. The blouse is cute…but I would wear it with a different print…not skiers. The sweater is too thin. How fun to be at Lake Tahoe when it snows…enjoy!

2. Gail Schwartz
    January 12, 2019 / 4:09 am

It’s very cute and casual. I’ve been noticing a lot of pants with the stripe down the side. If you want to look modern, this is a good look. But would I wear it? Not at my age, sorry!

3. Uli
    January 12, 2019 / 4:12 am

I would wear it. I am Not overfed with stripes yet, it is colourful, the blouse adds a funny Twist to it and makes it warm enough for winter.

4. January 12, 2019 / 4:13 am

What a great look! I would definitely wear this. I like the way this red sweater hugs the body ( tho not too tightly) rather than just hangs and looks droopy. I have plenty of those! Lol. The pants are adorable and the cut appears to be one that I wear…straighter leg, narrow through hips…..love the entire fabric with stripe on side too. Love it!

January 12, 2019 / 10:58 pm

Thanks for explaining Paulette

January 12, 2019 / 4:15 am

I rarely wear patterned pants because I don’t want to draw attention to my lower half. I don’t like this trend of putting a stripe down the side of pants. It looks like they couldn’t decide if this is an athletic pant or a dress pant.
    The red top seems very thins & I don’t especially like the pattern on the blouse. So this outfit is a no for me.

January 12, 2019 / 10:58 pm

Thanks for explaining why Cindy

6. Judith
    January 12, 2019 / 4:25 am

I love this look. My bottom half is slim and I fancy it would make me look taller.

7. Sondra
    January 12, 2019 / 4:25 am

I like the outfit but I’m not a fan of the stripe down the side of the pants. Very distracting and not in a good way. So, I would not wear it. Take the stipe off and yes, I would wear it!

8. BeeeBeee
    January 12, 2019 / 4:31 am

I think the red stripe is too high contrast for me, black would have been a better choice. I can’t wear that shade of red so the sweater is a no although I would have looked for it another color. I like a lighter weight sweater in my climate because they layer well and that one is not ridiculously long and boxy so it might work on my petite frame. The shirt underneath is a no because buttoned shirts do not work for me.

When you know what works for you, it sure makes shopping a much speedier process!

January 12, 2019 / 11:00 pm

It sure does! Thanks for explaining

9. Judy
    January 12, 2019 / 4:38 am

I love the whole outfit. It’s fun but pulled together. I’m afraid the bold stripe would not flatter my pear shape but I do have a pair of black jeans with a black velvet stripe that are flattering on me.

• January 12, 2019 / 9:11 am

I agree with Judy…the whole outfit is a fun and pulled together. I would have to substitute a solid color on bottom, as well….still a cute outfit!

January 12, 2019 / 11:00 pm

Those sound great!

10. Carol Cartwright
    January 12, 2019 / 4:47 am

Yes, I would wear this outfit! I’m liking the bold stripe that is showing up more and more! So this outfit appeals to me!

11. Lynn
    January 12, 2019 / 4:47 am

I think it’s adorable but I would not wear it. It’s not my style.

12. Gwen
    January 12, 2019 / 4:47 am

I like the look with the exception of the red stripe. I am not even sure why I feel this way. It is as if the stripe is too flashy.

13. Laurie
    January 12, 2019 / 4:48 am

I do like the stripes on the side of pants but I would prefer them on jeans. I would not purchase these pants because I would have to wear a red top with them. Without the stripes, I could wear many different tops. More wardrobe mileage.

January 12, 2019 / 11:02 pm

Great point! They do limit your options

14. January 12, 2019 / 4:49 am

No I would not wear the pants. I don’t like the stripe down the side. I think to wear these you have to have really nice shoes. I am stuck in sneakers etc. because of arch supports. No heels ever. Plus I don’t like the checked pants.

15. BethW
    January 12, 2019 / 4:53 am

It’s not a bad outfit but I do not like wearing a thin sweater over a blouse. Every line of the blouse underneath shows through and the sweater does not lay smoothly. I agree with Beeebeee who suggested the pants would look better with a black stripe down the side rather than the red. I do like the patterns and color of the outfit but would not wear it.

• Jonell
      January 12, 2019 / 6:02 am

I’ve solved my blouse bunching anther the sweater dilemma by wearing a form fitting camisole over the blouse. Works well and gives me the look I’m going for.

January 12, 2019 / 11:05 pm

Thanks for sharting and have a great day. .

16. Babs
    January 12, 2019 / 4:57 am

I like the overall look. The stripe on the side of the pants is a no for me. I tend to keep my clothes for a long time and this is just a bit too trendy. I like the mixing of the pattern and check pants. I’m just beginning to mix prints and stripes. Altogether on the right figure this would be a good look.

17. Linde
    January 12, 2019 / 4:59 am

I like the overall look, but the details make this a no for me. I don’t care for the print on the shirt, and the sweater seems to be too tight to wear as a second layer. I’d be willing to try the checked pants if it weren’t for the stripe down the side. I think the stripe would just emphasize larger hips.

January 12, 2019 / 5:01 am

While I like certain parts of this outfit, as a whole I would not wear it. If the pants didn’t have a stripe, I would wear them. I don’t wear cutesy prints and button-up blouses are problematic. I would prefer a v-neck rather than a crew neck sweater, and I’m afraid the thinness might show too many lumps and bumps. I like the red, though.

19. January 12, 2019 / 5:04 am

I love this outfit and would like to see it on my daughter who is of course younger, thinner, and taller..ha ha. But if I was all those things I would wear it in a heartbeat. I get a lot of enjoyment just looking at it.

20. Mary
    January 12, 2019 / 5:14 am

The stripe looks silly. I would wear those pants without the stripe with the cute sweater to work. I love 3/4 sleeves. The blouse is not my style. I don’t wear prints like that.

21. Lori Stewart
    January 12, 2019 / 5:29 am

I love everything except the red stripes down the side. It reminds me of athletic wear. It also brings back a memory of when I was much younger and my grandmother used to buy those mail order dresses with fabric covered cardboard belts. When she gained weight, she would take the belts apart and make the dresses bigger by adding the belt fabric to the side seams. My cousin called them racing stripes.

22. Sandie
    January 12, 2019 / 5:30 am

I love it! The pants! Pants should be a bit closer fitting for my liking but like unique interesting look.

January 12, 2019 / 5:44 am

Yes, I would wear this. I love pops of color. The stripe on the side elongates the leg. I also love mixing prints. Agree with some comments about drawing attention to the bottom half if that’s where you are bigger. Vice versa for the top half thin sweater. Easy fix for that, add a skirt look alike for the bottom and a red blazer over the blouse. I love getting style ideas, then adjusting to your body type.

24. Linda Curlee
    January 12, 2019 / 5:57 am

Yes, I would wear this. Thumbs up👍🏻 I love mixing patterns and getting fashion ideas, then making it fit your own style. If you are heavier on the bottom half…. find a knee length skirt look a like. Heavier on the top half…. find a blazer or maybe a vest that compliments your figure. Or flip flop patterns / solids.

25. Susan
    January 12, 2019 / 6:03 am

I love the outfit,the stripe on the pants is great.I don’t like to be this matchy-matchy

26. Marilyn McDonald
    January 12, 2019 / 6:48 am

My 37-year-old daughter, who works in the fashion industry, just bought a black pair of these side-striped pants, quite snug, and they surprised me. Then a few days later, I saw a TV character in similar pants, worn with a dressy top and jacket. They just look wrong to me–out of place. And the funny part is, wearing similarly-styled athletic pants is now out. Not a trend I like or would wear.

27. LinnieZ
    January 12, 2019 / 6:50 am

Love, love, love it! I would try it on to see how it would look, but it is simply adorable!

• LinnieZ
      January 12, 2019 / 7:08 am

Just bought them! Haha. Thanks Jennifer! On sale too

28. Laurel
    January 12, 2019 / 6:56 am

I wouldn’t wear the pants because I think that red stripe is too attention grabbing for me, and it would definitely accent my hips/thighs. As others have said, that sweater is too thin for a blouse beneath, which is a problem I find with a lot of sweaters in trying to recreate that look.

A friend got married in Lake Tahoe one year in June, and we ended up being forced by the highway patrol to buy tire chains to get there on our drive from SF. Beautiful place to visit – lucky you to have friends there!

29. Susan
    January 12, 2019 / 7:30 am

I’m in the minority here, but I like the outfit a lot. It’s sporty, fun, and fresh. The red is energizing, and I like the way the print shirt and pants coordinate. I even like the thin stripe on the pants, though it gives them a short life expectancy (trendy). That being said, I would only wear it it someone gave it to me. For the $160+ the outfit would cost, I’d find an outfit with 4” longer pants that would be more versatile with the blue/green/gray/pink palette in my closet.

30. Donna
    January 12, 2019 / 7:38 am

This could be a cute outfit but as other readers have commented, the sweater is a little thin to wear over a blouse. I tend to shy away from anything that is trendy, i.e. stripes down the pant legs.

January 12, 2019 / 7:39 am

It’s cute! I would consider wearing it for fun casual if the pants were longer! Maybe a 3/4 sleeve too.

32. Susan
    January 12, 2019 / 7:59 am

That trend has been here a while so it might be old news by next year. I generally buy clothes to last longer than a year so while I like the outfit and think it’s fun, I wouldn’t buy it. Because you know, you don’t have to buy everything you like!

33. Mary
    January 12, 2019 / 8:17 am

Absolutely, yes! Where can I get it? Love the red stripe, cute for casual Friday or Happy Hour, movies, shopping around. While you may need an outer jacket for winter, it looks great for a fun seasonal piece to keep the wardrobe perked up. Has a sense of humor.

34. January 12, 2019 / 8:20 am

I actually do wear a red top with black and white checked trousers but I haven’t bought anything with a stripe down the side – currently all over the shops right now – because I think it will date them. I need my clothes to be timeless rather than following fashion fads.

35. Diane Zueck
    January 12, 2019 / 8:25 am

I would definitely wear the pants. But, unfortunately, they are not offered in a petite length. But, if they did I would wear the outfit as is. I like the length and fit of the pants on the mannequin. The blouse adds a fun element without being stuffy. And I like the red pullover sweater for additional warmth. I live in the Midwest and we just received six inches of snow last night!

36. January 12, 2019 / 8:26 am

Though this is a cute look, I would not buy the pants as the red stripes would severely limit what I could wear them with.

37. Pat
    January 12, 2019 / 8:51 am

Great looking classic outfit until you get to the stripe. The stripe on the slacks makes the outfit look cheap. So no, I would not wear the slacks.

38. Karen Young
    January 12, 2019 / 9:02 am

The pants are cute but not classic, so I would probably not invest in them. I do really like the way they are styled in the photo with a patterned blouse and solid sweater.

January 12, 2019 / 9:13 am

No, as a pear shape, pants too busy, top too straight, colors I don’t wear, better on someone else.

January 12, 2019 / 9:21 am

Pam’s look, nope, “ Boho gone bad”.

41. January 12, 2019 / 9:22 am

I love this look and would definitely wear it. The stripe is trendy and might date the pants more quickly than I like, but for an up-to-date look, it’s great!

42. Cyndi
    January 12, 2019 / 9:35 am

Overall a cute, trendy look but I wouldn’t buy the pants (not a big fan of the athleisure look and instead of being a neutral pant that might work with many colors you’re limited to one shade of red) I do like the plaid pants with the print in the shirt. Like others, I think the sweater looks a bit thin (and those three quarter sleeves) to wear as a top layer. But, it’s a nice inspiration to work with to use things I already have in my wardrobe. Enjoy Lake Tahoe!

43. Becky
    January 12, 2019 / 11:15 am

It’s a no for me. While the red stripe might lengthen my shorts legs, I agree with Pam that looks like it was an after thought & looks poorly attached. The red sweater seems to be too thin & clingy. I’m just not a fan of the skier print on the blouse.

44. Lucretia Roletta
    January 12, 2019 / 11:38 am

I think this a cool outfit for the right person but not for me. I don’t wear red and I don’t like the stripe down the side of the pants. I love white boots but I don’t wear that heel height.
    I hope you don’t get snowed in!!

45. Allison
    January 12, 2019 / 12:04 pm

LOVE the pants!! Wow, very chic. Red,black and white is a classic combo. A red, black or white top would work. Only caution would be the red in the top needs to match in tone with that stripe. A great black silk top for night with strappy sandals or a classic white tee with ballerinas or sneakers with a leather moto jacket ( imagine the leather in red!!) The top shown is too ordinary for me.
    Ladies stop saying CAN’T! Be positive and just say ‘my style, taste, etc. is different’. I used to say I can’t wear such and such and noticed happy women my shape wearing the same items, I tried and found that I loved how I looked in the items that I had a false belief about! I now look to my younger friends who just don’t do can’t for fashion inspiration. It’s opened up my eyes and changed my closet!!

( as my Grade 1 teacher used to say ” there is no such word as can’t”)

46. January 12, 2019 / 12:14 pm

Hi Jennifer, I wouldn’t. It took a while, 2 years I think, for me to accept this on others and now I think it’s coming to the end of its trend life so too late for me to invest in.
    Hope you are well. It’s a while since I’ve popped over but I’ll be more regular, I promise.

47. January 12, 2019 / 1:07 pm

I love everything about this outfit EXCEPT the red stripe!!!! In my opinion, the stripe makes a classy outfit look cheap. I have 2 pairs of black & white checked pants and absolutely love them both. They are versatile because you can wear them with many different colors, but red with black & white is one of my very favorite color combos.

48. January 12, 2019 / 1:49 pm

I think this is a really fun outfit and I’d admire it on others. As for me, I don’t wear bright red anymore because it really makes my rosacea stand out. I’d wear it in a different color. I love the checked pants, but I’m not sold on the stripe. I’m still trying to get used to it and probably by the time I decide I like them, the trend will have passed.

49. Lily
    January 12, 2019 / 7:13 pm

I am vacationing in a large North American city and no one is wearing pants with a stripe down the leg. Too much of a fad for my taste. -Lily

50. Irishlace
    January 12, 2019 / 8:02 pm

I like the pants and the red sweater together. I would not pair the stiff button down under a lightweight sweater. It looks too lumpy for me. I would wear them separately. I think the stripe is a fun addition to my sassy pants collection. The pattern on the blouse would be be a creative layer with other, heavier weight sweaters or jackets. Enjoy your trip!

51. Diana
    January 12, 2019 / 10:37 pm

I like the blouse with the red sweater, but no to the pants. Those pants just are not my style.

52. Holly
    January 13, 2019 / 1:06 am

I like black/white pants & the red sweater with the blouse adds some zip, but I’m not interested in the red stripe. Side stripes are not even used much today on athletic wear. I’m older & don’t chase trends like this. I look at it and say why?

53. RoseAG
    January 13, 2019 / 5:00 am

I don’t like tops like that so I’d pass, but I think the pants would be worth trying on.
    I have a skirt with a side inset and it is more flattering than I thought it would be. Who knows, maybe the side stripe would look good.
    With that said, red is not a color I wear often b/c I have a ruddy complexion.

54. January 13, 2019 / 2:29 pm

I definitely would wear it! I think the stripe would be slimming and with the vertical line, it would help make me look a little taller.

55. Barb T
    January 13, 2019 / 7:52 pm

Love it! I would wear it, but I am not sure it is a practical purchase as it is the type of thing that would be in and out of style quickly. It is sporty and attractive but not what I would call classic.

56. Cheryll
    January 14, 2019 / 7:06 am

Yes, I would wear it. In fact, I had pants with a red strip back in the ’80s. I like the overall look.