Dressing Room Diaries at Talbots

Dressing Room Diaries at Talbots

Happy Friday ladies. Many of you have said you like the dressing room diaries so I headed out yesterday to see what was new. I must be rusty because these pictures are grainier than usual… but you’ll still get the idea.

The new Talbots collection was just beginning to be put out so I only had a few things to choose from. Everything I tried on was petite, and most are also available in misses, woman, and woman petite.

T by Talbots is their athleisure collection which works for an active lifestyle and takes you from yoga to lunch in comfort. This yoga jacket is a great layering piece which comes in 4 colors. The pants are a classic side zip pant with lots of stretch which would dress up or down and comes in tons of colors.

I’ve never met a stripe I didn’t love and this striped zip-up is no different. I love the varying stripe widths and it has pockets! I styled it over high rise jeggings which feel as comfy as leggings. This is a perfect outfit for running errands or working around the house.

I loved the edging on this scallop neck top which comes in 4 colors. I paired it with the T by Talbots relaxed leg pants which are beyond comfy. This pull-on style comes in 3 colors and multiple sizesJennifer Connolly wearing mock neck sweater from Talbots

This stripe mockneck sweater is a great fabric and color but sadly the exact wrong shape for me. The neckline and color placement make my wide shoulders look broader than they are. The dark pants offer a better balance than the light jeans, but this would be much better on a woman with narrow shoulders and wider hips.

These leggings have a nice high rise and lots of stretch so they’re very comfy. They would tuck into knee boots beautifully and also look great with short booties.

This gingham tunic has lots of stretch and is very comfy. I paired it here with Talbots classic slim legged pants. These pants come in tons of colors and will be great through the spring and summer in white.

Next, I paired the gingham tunic with denim jeggings and a cotton sweater. Because I am wearing the tunic in petite, I could tuck it into the jeggings which is a better proportion for my short legs.

Finally, I topped the jeggings with Talbots classic no-iron white shirt. Their classics are designed to be worn differently by everyone because they’re meant to inspire individuality. I like to wear my white shirts out, tucked in or tied at the waist for a casual look.

Have you braved the stores since the holidays?

Thanks for reading and have a great day.

1. Lezlie Davis
    January 4, 2019 / 4:25 am

I love the dressing room diaries! Thank you for this! ❤️

January 4, 2019 / 5:35 am

Great looks today! Thank you for the wonderful ideas.

3. Laurel
    January 4, 2019 / 5:44 am

Nice overview. I have a Talbots gingham tunic from last summer that looks nearly identical and I have worn it a LOT. My daughter bought it after seeing me wear it, too. It’s winner. Love that boatneck striped sweater…it’s right up my alley. Will have to try it out.

Thanks, as always, for the dressing room diaries. They’re always fun to see!

January 4, 2019 / 9:04 am

The tunic was sooo soft. Talbots fabrics are really terrific.

4. January 4, 2019 / 6:07 am

Great looks, Jennifer! I know this is helpful to many women! Really good looks in this one!

5. Kathy
    January 4, 2019 / 6:08 am

I enjoy your dressing room diaries and especially the comments on the different sizes. BTW, I think you look great in the dark jeggings and the striped sweater!

January 4, 2019 / 9:03 am

So glad you like these. I try not to make my shoulders appear any wider than they are so while I love the sweater, I wouldn’t wear it.

6. January 4, 2019 / 6:15 am

Great post. You’ve inspired me to try some of the things I was a little iffy on when I looked at them in the catalog. I like that long cardigan on you, and I was wondering how well it would drape. It looks great!

7. Cyndi
    January 4, 2019 / 6:29 am

I really enjoy the dressing room diaries posts – thanks for showing what’s a hit on you and also what’s a miss. You look great in so many of these!

January 4, 2019 / 9:40 pm

I’m so glad you like these Cyndi.

January 4, 2019 / 6:50 am

Lots of cute pieces today! I especially like the pink scalloped neck top.

9. Diane Zueck
    January 4, 2019 / 6:51 am

I enjoyed this post so much. I do most of my shopping at Talbot’s now. It is one of the few places I can walk in and find a huge selection of items in my size that do not need to be altered. I like the outfits you created with their new line because they fit my lifestyle. I have had a few sneak peeks of this January line recently, but it really helps to see the clothing on someone. Thank you.

January 4, 2019 / 8:52 am

My pleasure Diane, I just wish more had been available to show you. They do petite very, very well.

10. January 4, 2019 / 7:09 am

Thank you for bringing back Dressing Room Diaries!!!!! I’m loving the yoga jacket, hoodie & jeggings. I haven’t braved the mall since the Holidays, January, I try to take January off from shopping!

January 4, 2019 / 8:51 am

The mall was pretty jammed and the parking was a bit of a nightmare.

11. Barb
    January 4, 2019 / 7:10 am

Talbots is my go-to store to find stylish pieces in petite sizing that aren’t frumpy. I have a pair of the high-waisted jeggings and love them so much that I just ordered them in black! I now have my eye on that gingham tunic. Thanks for this Dressing Room Diary!

January 4, 2019 / 8:48 am

Their jeggings are amazingly comfortable, I love them. Glad you liked it

January 4, 2019 / 7:35 am

I enjoy Dressing Room Diaries. This has inspired me to go shopping for some basics. I like you in pink.

January 4, 2019 / 8:42 am

Thanks Janet, I happy to have rediscovered pink 😉

13. January 4, 2019 / 7:51 am

What great outfits!

Question: I thought there was a rule about proportion to wear 1/3: 2/3. If you wear a top that ends halfway down, it draws attention to your widest point and cuts you in half and doesn’t look good. I am 5’5″, pear shaped with long legs and this is certainly true. I end up choosing all long tops that go below tush. If I wear a top that ends at my hips, I’ll cover with a longer cardigan. I find it hard to vary my look.

But you look terrific wearing blouses tied midway. How does it work so well for you?

January 4, 2019 / 8:41 am

Rules are made to be broken, Marian;) My shoulders are the widest part of my body so wearing things at my waist won’t make it appear wider than my shoulders. Anywhere your top ends has the potential to make that part of your body look wider but you can play with color to change that. Light colors appear larger so you could try a shorter (waist or high hip) light colored top with dark bottoms and a long scarf to tie them together or your long cardigan. Getting in a proportion rut can be easy and you don’t want it to take the fun out of dressing.

14. Annette
    January 4, 2019 / 8:13 am

Jennifer, I love all of these outfits and would wear each one. They look great on you! I miss Talbot’s so much since they closed everywhere around me, my hometown Monterey, next to my daughter at Stoneridge Mall, guess I need to go do a search and see where they are in Northern California. Thanks!

January 4, 2019 / 8:26 am

Thanks! That’s why I like shopping online, Annette. Talbots does charge a small amount for shipping but it’s probably less than it could cost on gas plus the online selection is wider than any individual store will have.

15. Peggy
    January 4, 2019 / 8:23 am

Talbots has been a favorite of mine for nearly 40 years. Classic design and quality clothes.

16. carla finch
    January 4, 2019 / 9:05 am

thanks for doing the Dressing room diaries. I love this feature of your blog.

January 4, 2019 / 9:11 am

My pleasure Carla, I’m so glad you like it!

17. Anon
    January 4, 2019 / 9:12 am

You are right on about the blue and black striped mock turtleneck. I found a similar one with a boat neck and side slits. I have narrow shoulders and wider hips, so it’s very flattering.

I did hit the stores this week, but the best selection was online at the same stores I visited. Much of what they carry is online only. However, I did find a jacket in a menswear check that fit like a dream. It was sold out in my size online, but one remained in the store. This is something I’d been looking for since early in the fall. The pattern is a classic black and white, so I won’t tire of it.

I passed by all the metallic shoes that were such a trend. I just don’t need them.

January 4, 2019 / 9:38 pm

So glad you found one. Getting the right proportions for your personal silhouette is awesome.

18. Chris
    January 4, 2019 / 10:25 am

Love the dressing room diary posts! I often see a combination that’s already in my closet! Shopping at home! Thanks for all the fresh ideas.

19. Marie
    January 4, 2019 / 11:26 am

Thanks for great pictures. Nice to see Talbots clthes on someone, since I shop there often. Particulaly love their pants since they have great variety and they fit well in the petites.

January 4, 2019 / 9:33 pm

Talbots do petite better than most. They’re proportions are terrific.

20. Kay
    January 4, 2019 / 2:24 pm

I don’t usually do printed pants, but I do like those. (You help me with this kind of thing by showing something on a real person. I would just walk by the pants on a hanger.)

January 4, 2019 / 9:31 pm

I’m glad this helps Kay. That’s why I like doing DRD. Because many clothes look unwearable on a hanger are things we should consider.

21. Karen
    January 5, 2019 / 11:01 am

Dressing room diaries is my favorite. Thank you. I especially appreciate your willingness to show what doesn’t work so well and why. So many times I buy things that are supposed to work. When I use them in real life they just don’t. Boxing Day this year yielded 6 big bags of clothes to charity- glad to be of help to others, but it shows how many mistakes I made!