Would you wear it?

Would you wear it?
Affiliate links within this post may generate income for AWSL

Welcome to the weekend and would you wear it. Each Saturday Pam Lutrell of Over 50 Feeling 40 and I share a mannequin we have found and ask if you’d wear what she’s wearing.

To be honest, some mannequins are train wrecks and some are drool-worthy. We choose them at random to better understand YOUR dressing dilemmas and we learn by the answers you share.

chelsea 28 side stripe pants on a well styled life

TOPPANTSHANDBAG

Please tell us why you would or would not wear these looks based on your body shape, style goals or lifestyle…not just that it’s hideous or great looking.

SIDE STRIPE PANTS

So tell me, ladies, would you wear this look and why or why not?
Here are the weekend sale updates:
Talbots – 30% off your entire purchase plus an extra 30% off markdowns with the code HOLIDAY.

Gifts at Talbots

Ann Taylor – 40% off full price tops and sweaters with code TOPPICKS.

Gifts at Ann Taylor

Now let’s pop over to see what Pam’s mannequin is wearing here.

Thanks for reading and have a great weekend.

Affiliate links within this post may generate income for AWSL

1. December 1, 2018 / 4:06 am

I like the pieces, but I would have to try them on to see how it looks. The blouse and pants seem a little slouchy to go together and get a flattering fit. Depending on the fit, I really like the pants. Thanks Jennifer!

December 1, 2018 / 7:57 am

Great observation..they are pretty slouchy;)

2. Sondra
    December 1, 2018 / 4:21 am

I have been seeing the ‘tuxedo’ pants this season but personally, not a fan of ANY of them so would not wear them. Just a personal opinion. Truthfully, I think they are a ‘fad’ and won’t last very long.

December 1, 2018 / 7:58 am

They are definitely popular. I love my tuxedo jeans.

• Jackie
        December 1, 2018 / 9:45 am

What brand tuxedo jeans, Jennifer? I saw them in a previous post but cannot find it!

December 1, 2018 / 8:18 pm

Mine are from the Banana Republic

3. Mary
    December 1, 2018 / 5:01 am

I would not wear the pants shown here anywhere – too baggy, too short, just no. I like a small side stripe on straight jeans.

4. BeeeBeee
    December 1, 2018 / 5:20 am

No, I wouldn’t wear them. I don’t care for the high contrast stripe although I might consider something with a lower contrast. I don’t care if it is popular, the pants look too much like athleisure wear.

I think the top is pretty, but I prefer a more fitted look. I also would not wear it with those pants, they look too casual to be paired with such a slinky, dressier top.

December 1, 2018 / 7:59 am

Thanks for explaining;)

December 1, 2018 / 5:26 am

This is not an outfit I would wear. The neckline on the top is too low & overall it just looks slouchy & ill-fitting. The wide side stripe on the pants make me feel like I should be participating in an athletic event. The one thing I like is the color of the top.

December 1, 2018 / 8:00 am

Thanks Cindy, I like the red too.

December 1, 2018 / 6:03 am

I agree with everything Cindy just said. I can’t imagine wearing either of these pieces.

7. Sue Michel
    December 1, 2018 / 6:14 am

Love it! Like pinstripes & the side stripe with a pop of color are great making them a step up from casual athleisure
    They look comfy & flattering. Like the loose top too to hid my middle with a v-neck & color to bring eye up to my face while the pant stripe enlongates my already long legs. This is a hit all around!😀

December 1, 2018 / 8:01 am

I love your reasoning, thanks for sharing your styling ideas Sue

8. Sophia Montgomery
    December 1, 2018 / 6:19 am

Just bought a great fitting pair of casual pants with a side stripe at Banana Republic, may need to go back for a second pair.
    The top is a disaster!

December 1, 2018 / 8:02 am

I got my tuxedo jeans at BR too…I’ll have another peek, thanks Sophia

December 1, 2018 / 6:43 am

The top is too loose and long for me, and jogger pants have too much fabric at the waist for me. I like the look on a classic “ Le smoking “ pantsuit, more fitted and one color. I wear very little black, I prefer ivory, taupe, camel and the like.

December 1, 2018 / 8:03 am

I do love Le smoking too…such a classy look

10. Connie
    December 1, 2018 / 7:01 am

I’m very short and petite. That blouse would look like a bed sheet on me, not to mention the extra bulk and visual weight it would add. As for the striped pants, to me they scream “trendy”. I think they are baggy amd Unattractive.. So, I guess for me that’s a big, fat “No”.

11. Lily
    December 1, 2018 / 7:04 am

Would NOT wear it. I especially don’t like the red stripe on the pants. At first glance the stripe looked like a dangling, untied sash from the top. Too droopy, and too high contrast for my figure/coloring.

12. December 1, 2018 / 7:22 am

I do not like either item. The blouse looks sloppy and the material obviously wrinkles as it is wrinkled on the mannequin. I hate all the pants with the stripe down the side. they remind too much of athletic wear from the 70’s.

13. Sue L. Petersen
    December 1, 2018 / 7:49 am

The red of the shirt attracts me. I think I would try it on and see how it looks on me. I have not tried on tuxedo pants yet but would be willing to try them on. I am willing to try new styles as I am tired of the legging look on women.

14. Debbie
    December 1, 2018 / 7:51 am

Looks slouchy and wrinkled. This outfit looks like something to lounge around the house in, kind of pajama-like.

15. December 1, 2018 / 8:13 am

I really like this outfit and would wear it in spring or fall (Northeast) but not winter. I feel it would look pretty decent on my frame, but, what footwear? I notice it is not shown with any…..

16. December 1, 2018 / 8:18 am

If I wore these together I would look like a potato sack – they would not be friendly to shorties. I would wear them separately, depending upon how lose the trousers fit. I love the stipe down the side – slimming.

17. December 1, 2018 / 8:20 am

No. I wouldn’t even wear black tuxedo pants with a black stripe down the legs. Too much going on. The outfit you’ve featured, especially the top, looks like it would cling to your body in unflattering ways.

18. December 1, 2018 / 8:33 am

No, I wouldn’t wear this outfit. As many others have commented, it’s too slouchy. I like the colour of the top and the fit of the sleeves, but the body is too baggy. I haven’t tried tuxedo pants yet, but if I did buy a pair I’d want to be able to wear them with several different tops. I don’t think that bright red stripe would work with much in my closet.

19. Mollie M.
    December 1, 2018 / 8:40 am

I like the pants very much but not with that blouse which is too fussy. I would be fussing with it all the time when wearing it. I can imagine a beautiful white satin long sleeve blouse with these pants. Very evening and glamorous looking.

December 1, 2018 / 10:21 am

First off, I don’t wear track pants. If I did, I wouldn’t buy these as I don’t like the bright red stripe. As for the top, it would hang terribly on my skinny chest and narrow shoulders.
    I dress in a more tailored, classic way but do like to mix in the occasional trend.

21. beth byrd
    December 1, 2018 / 11:05 am

I think the top would be lovely — love the draping and color. The pants, not so much.

I don’t particularly care for the way this ensemble was displayed. I think it could have been done much better and accessories would have been great. It seems that it was thrown together with very little thought to detail.

December 1, 2018 / 8:17 pm

I often wonder why they put certain items together. Display people don’t always have the best fashion sense;)

December 1, 2018 / 8:17 pm

22. Diana
    December 1, 2018 / 11:14 am

No to the pants, I am not ‘into’ the tuxedo look, personally. Especially would not wear such a bright stripe down the side. The top, I would have to try on. It looks rather large and sloppy in this photo, but it could be the size is simply too large.

December 1, 2018 / 12:38 pm

Hello Jennifer, if I were still going out to business, I would swoop up the handbag lurking in the lower left. As for the rest of the outfit, it would not have been an appropriate business look for me. I can’t think of anywhere I could wear the outfit in my retirement life.
    Eileen

December 1, 2018 / 8:13 pm

Thanks for explaining Eileen

24. Becky
    December 1, 2018 / 1:33 pm

I think the pants would be good for my short legs because of the vertical stripes. I’m not sure about the top. The red is a good color for me, but it does seem a bit slouchy. I would not use the bag. I prefer something with an outside pocket for keys & zippered top. It might have a zipper, but I can’t tell from the picture.

25. Amie
    December 1, 2018 / 1:36 pm

No, this look is not for me. I don’t care for the stripe down the side of pants trend, let alone a contrasting stripe.Even the example jeans are not for me.
    I agree with others who are noticing the slouchiness of both the top and pants, I don’t find it flattering on most figures. The top looks a bit odd to me, like something is off with how it’s made. It looks like a faux wrap front that the maniquin dresser had to pin on.

26. L H Carter
    December 1, 2018 / 1:40 pm

Both items are saggy and baggy so I would not purchase or wear if it was given to me. I do like the color combo of black and red.

27. Linda Todd
    December 1, 2018 / 4:09 pm

Yes I think the stripe is flattering and although the look is casual with sneakers it would also look great with a heeled ankle boot or shoe.

December 1, 2018 / 8:10 pm

Thanks for sharing your styling ideas Linda

28. Cyndi
    December 1, 2018 / 4:28 pm

I wouldn’t try this on if I saw it in the store even though the color combo is one of my favorites. I prefer the stripe in tuxedo pants to be the same (or similar) hue with a different texture/sheen so that high color contrast doesn’t appeal. The length of the pants seems short for the width. And the top looks slouchy especially through the neckline and shoulders. The extra fabric draws attention to the belly area, not where I want the eye to be drawn. . Maybe this mannequin didn’t get a good fit in the size and length or maybe the faux wrap of the top wasn’t quite right?

December 1, 2018 / 8:09 pm

I love how you explained this Cyndi, thanks.

29. Susan
    December 1, 2018 / 5:27 pm

Like the color of the top, and I thought I’d like tuxedo pants but tried on a pair this week and didn’t love them. At my age, I’ve gotta love it and it has to look good on me- not just ok but good- for me to buy it.
    The silhouette is too slouchy and droopy for me. I’m already droopy, don’t need more!!

December 1, 2018 / 8:08 pm

Thanks for explaining Susan! I agree we need to love what we wear.

December 1, 2018 / 8:08 pm

Thanks for explaining Susan! I agree we need to love what we wear.