Neutral Palette: Inherent Colors

Neutral Palette: Inherent Colors

The weather changes pretty fast in my new area and it’s taking some getting used to. One moment it’s sunny, the next it’s totally socked in and pouring rain. That makes it hard to decide what to wear and layering is mandatory. Tomorrow we’re taking our grandson up to snow country to cut down our Christmas Tree so I’m hoping for dry although a little snowfall would be fantastic.

jennifer connolly wearing column of beige with faux fur vestWe grabbed these photo’s last week when the leaves were glorious. Today they’re mostly gone so it’s looking dull around here. It makes me want to wear more color to alter my mood. Do you do that?style blogger jennifer connolly wearing beige faux fur with neutral accessories

This look was perfect to run errands and hit the mall. I was surprised at how empty the stores are. More and more people are shopping online these days – me included – but sometimes I just want to feel the fabric and see the colors in real life.

Take this vest for example. I saw it online several years ago and thought it was a warm tone so didn’t buy it. Then I ran across it in Nordstrom, saw it was a cool taupe and had to have it. It’s an inherent color for me and become a favorite because it goes with everything.

Style Tip -Inherent colors are your eye, hair and skin color. They’re flattering because they coordinate with you

Do you gravitate to inherent colors in your wardrobe?

Shop the Post

Do you gravitate to inherent colors in your wardrobe?

Here are the latest sale updates-

J. Crew is having a 48% off flash sale – today only -on full-price items marked 48% off full price and on sale items marked Extra 48% off with code 48HOURS.

Some picks from the sale

Ann Taylor is giving an extra 50% off sale (ends 12/6) and dresses $85.

Sale dresses

Thanks for reading and have a great day.

Affiliate links within this post may generate income for AWSL

1. Mary
    December 5, 2018 / 4:19 am

Funny you should mention inherent colors. I have been gravitating to blushes and rose lately where I never have before. I am a strawberry blonde!

December 5, 2018 / 6:15 am

I bet rose gold is gorgeous on you Mary. I’m seeing more of it these days.

2. Téa
    December 5, 2018 / 4:30 am

I had my colors “analyzed” by an image consultant when I turned 50 – it’s been the best gift to myself to know what the best colors for ME are…I have a much more cohesive wardrobe, everything coordinates better and I am putting my best self forward in colors that are the best for ME! PLUS – it makes shopping way easier!! There are a lot of books on this subject, but the education I received in person, by a trained professional, were worth their weight in gold. I also gifted my daughters a color consultation as they were building adult wardrobes after college. YES, Jennifer, that color palette is a home run on you – well done!!

December 5, 2018 / 6:17 am

That’s wonderful and so helpful for your girls as they’re starting out. Getting the right color basics make dressing so easy.

3. December 5, 2018 / 4:45 am

Love today’s lesson….never too old to learn about inherent colors! And doubly love your neutrals today. Fabulous! A pop of color is always nice, but I tend to neutrals!

December 5, 2018 / 6:18 am

Thanks Paulette. Now that the leaves are all gone I feel the need for color!

4. Sandy
    December 5, 2018 / 5:16 am

Love today’s outfit! But what color shoes are you wearing with these pants?

December 5, 2018 / 6:19 am

Beige flats. I just realized they got cut off in the images 😆 Sorry

December 5, 2018 / 5:37 am

I love neutrals & this outfit looks beautiful on you!

December 5, 2018 / 6:20 am

Thank you Sandy. Neutrals are so easy to wear.

6. Brooke
    December 5, 2018 / 5:43 am

Where does one get ones colors done these days? I had them done in the 80’s but my hair is grey now and I would like to do it again. I do not see that service offered any more.

December 5, 2018 / 6:21 am

There are trained color consultants in most areas. You could check online at AICI.com

• Cheryl
      December 5, 2018 / 6:41 am

My Chico’s is offering it now.

December 5, 2018 / 8:08 am

Interesting. Are they trained and certified in color analysis?

7. Renee
    December 5, 2018 / 7:22 am

Wonderful palette! Sophisticated without being hard edged.

8. December 5, 2018 / 9:35 am

Hi Jennifer, I prefer inherent colours but 5 days a week my colours are dictated by work so I make the best of wearing what I shouldn’t ie black and navy.

December 5, 2018 / 11:04 am

That’s a drag but I bet you live in great colors on the weekend

December 5, 2018 / 4:52 pm

Strangely, I find colours that match my hair are boring and too monochrome to be pleasing to my eye. My eyes are blue but I seldom wear that colour, preferring reds. In the fall/winter, I wear a lot of black or grey, preferring a column of colour. I do like that vest on you!

December 5, 2018 / 7:09 pm

Inherent colors may flatter your coloring but bore you silly so it’s important to wear colors that you love.

10. BeeeBeee
    December 5, 2018 / 5:34 pm

I really love this neutral color palette on you and that handbag adds just the right amount of color. I LOVE that vest! I call this look “casual elegance” and it is my go-to look.

December 5, 2018 / 7:10 pm

Thanks so much…is your name Beee? I like to answer my readers with their name:)