Does This Make Me Look Old?

Does This Make Me Look Old?

Did you catch the lively discussion we had on my Facebook page last week? We chat about style, beauty, and life in general. That particular discussion affected how I got dressed yesterday. I shared a story I’d found on the web and wondered what my readers thought. They were as annoyed as I was. The article is called “The 10 Fashion Mistakes Making You Look Older Than You Are”. Titles like that always intrigue me but here’s the thing – the author looks about 30 and her theories are way off base.

Why do young women think they know how we should dress? I’m a firm believer that everyone is entitled to their opinion but please don’t dictate what I should wear until you get some experience under your belt and even then…

She was down on eyeliner, chunky jewelry, and brooches. I wear them all the time so feeling inspired, I darkened my eyeliner and pinned on a chunky brooch before we headed out to do some Christmas shopping. I don’t think they made me look older.used bookshop in Nevada City

We drove to Nevada City which has tons of charm and cute little shops. Our first stop was a funky used bookstore. Jennifer Connolly of A well Styled life in black fedora, plaid scarf and jeansIt was quirky, charming and filled with books that aren’t found at Barnes & Noble or Amazon. We got some great ones for my grandson which I know he’s never seen.Jennifer Connolly of A Well Styled Life wearing Talbots plaid scarf with black sweater and hat

After 20 minutes I dropped my jacket back in the car – shopping can be aerobic – and transferred my brooch to the scarf. I still didn’t feel older.

Red and green plaid with a snowflake brooch felt particularly festive and perfect for this time of year.

Jennifer Connolly of A Well Styled Life wearing plaid scarf and black fedora in Nevada City I wore flat booties which are perfect for the uneven sidewalks and kept my feet comfy. Nevada City is dog-friendly but that means you need to look down as you’re walking because some dog owners aren’t as diligent as they should be.Jennifer Connolly of A Well Styled Life outside rock shop in Nevada City, CA
Does This Make Me look Old by Jennifer Connolly of A Well Styled Life

I added a small touch of leopard for some pattern mixing and a pop of red lipstick. I didn’t see anyone else wearing a brooch, nor did I feel older wearing mine. It’s all how you style things, ladies so mix things up and have fun.

Do you wear brooches?

Thanks for reading ladies and have a great day.

Affiliate links within this post may generate income for AWSL

1. Shari
    December 10, 2018 / 4:17 am

yes I do especially for the holidays!
    Some were my mother’s and still wonderful! I say vintage not old fashioned.
    I have every color and am not quite sure about the matching earrings……
    You look so cute as usual! Your slim figure helps!
    Will you wear some dresses soon to help us know what’s not making me look old in a dress??
    Thanks Jennifer, I always look forward to your opinions!

• Susan
      December 10, 2018 / 4:47 am

Brooches are much like any other accessory or clothing item and has to do with how they are styled. I don’t wear brooches as I am generally not a great fan of them – except on the Queen (and Jennifer’s scarf of course). As for matching earrings and brooches, that can border on ‘matchy matchy’ which according to the fashion gurus is ageing.

• Sharon
      December 10, 2018 / 5:14 am

Shari,

I agree with your suggestion about dresses. I would like to expand my wardrobe in that direction, at 5’6 I cannot find appropriate dresses that aren’t too short.

Sharon

December 12, 2018 / 8:35 am

You’re so lucky to have some of your mother’s brooches Shari! I like to break up my matching sets. It helps each piece be more special. I’d be happy to style some dresses. I don’t wear them often but find them easy to wear and comfy.

December 10, 2018 / 4:22 am

You look SUPER! Who cares what a 30 something thinks, she hasn’t lived long enough to know!

December 12, 2018 / 8:30 am

Thanks! She will find out as she gets some experience under her belt.

3. Maureen
    December 10, 2018 / 4:28 am

If a 30 something says we shouldn’t wear it, it makes me want to do it even more. Red rag to a bull and all that!

4. Sondra
    December 10, 2018 / 4:35 am

You look ‘fabulous’!!! I was SO glad to see that you feel the same way I do about styling our clothes. I’ve NEVER been one to follow the fads and get so irked at the fashion industry for trying to dictate what I SHOULD and SHOULD NOT be wearing at ANY age!! I wear what I want to but at the same time, staying stylish. I also do not spend a lot of money to achieve the look I’m after. I still do buy quality clothes on the things I know I’ll keep for years and years. Love your look today on you and enjoyed seeing parts of Nevada City.

December 12, 2018 / 8:38 am

Thanks, Sondra. Style is our personal expression and should be fun, not someone else’s idea of a formula.

5. Roxanne
    December 10, 2018 / 4:39 am

Trust me, you look anything but old! In fact, this may be one of your most fabulous outfits ever! I agree with Shari that vintage is a great term. How did you manage not to get hat hair? I wore a fedora Saturday while shopping in a deluge, but I knew once I put it on I was committed for the day. Nobody here wears hats, but I got tons of compliments from strangers (always a good sign!).

December 12, 2018 / 8:44 am

By the end of the day my hair was flattened but like you, I kept it on. Hats are a commitment but so chic looking they’re worth it. I’d love to see you in your Fedora..are you in my Facebook group where you could share a picture?

December 10, 2018 / 4:41 am

Hah! What does she know and what gives anyone the right to dictate? That drives me nuts! I rarely wore brooches and now find them very interesting and a great option for shawls, capes and scarfs.
    I think you look very hip in this outfit and wouldn’t be surprised if others were inspired by it. Brooches the new trend??? I am pinning this!

December 10, 2018 / 6:33 am

Thank you Janet. You’ve just inspired me to get out my cape. I hardly wear it but love it’s drama. Clothes are for enjoying.

7. Karen
    December 10, 2018 / 4:44 am

Love the scarf and brooch combo and I am going to steal that look. You wear it so well. I agree that it’s not always what you wear but how you wear it. Thanks!

December 10, 2018 / 2:04 pm

Steal away Karen. I am flattered.

8. December 10, 2018 / 4:49 am

I think you look great in that outfit! What do 30 year olds know anyway? Nothing. At my age, and I just had a momentous birthday, I decide what I feel good wearing, and I may not be as daring as other women, but I want to feel comfortable and if jewelry and scarves make me feel that way, I will wear them! There are a lot of styles I won’t wear, but I choose items that will fit my body shape. end of story

December 10, 2018 / 6:31 am

Awesome Linda! That’s the very best way to get dressed. Thanks, I felt sassy in this look.

9. Kelly A. Foth
    December 10, 2018 / 5:01 am

I’m seventy now, and I have the absolute right to wear whatever I want, including brooches. Ironically, I am most often stopped by strangers complimenting me on my beautiful brooches .

December 12, 2018 / 8:45 am

Brooches are special so they do get noticed which I love. Who doesn’t like getting compliments? I know I do. Good for you Kelly.

10. Kathy
    December 10, 2018 / 5:59 am

I think the brooch is very cool! I have never bought a brooch but have several that were my mother’s. One is a butterfly that I have pinned to a fatigue jacket.

December 10, 2018 / 6:27 am

You’re so lucky Kathy. My mom didn’t wear brooches. I love the idea of pinning it on a fatigue jacket. Modern looking.

11. Sunny
    December 10, 2018 / 6:04 am

You look great. Love the touch of leopard with the plaid. Its good to have guidelines but it also stifles creativity. Its about looking appropriate to the situation & translating that to your body type, coloring & personality.

12. Diane Zueck
    December 10, 2018 / 6:19 am

I love your outfit and don’t think you look old at all! In fact, I think you look very stylish and confident. The belt, scarf, and brooch, along with the hat, add a sophisticated edginess to your look. I would venture to guess that you turned many heads that day as strolling around town and shopping. I am headed to the Talbot’s website to order that brooch right now!

13. Connie
    December 10, 2018 / 6:46 am

I love that look! You look fabulous in those jeans. I wore vintage brooches almost daily twenty years ago when I was an elected official. It actually started a “pin wars” competition with staff and the neighboring cities. At meetings and events, we would discuss where we found our brooches and then vote on who wore the best one! There was one staff member who had an entire collection inherited from her mother….oh, she was hard to beat. I still have my collection. I wear few suits and blazers these days and Christmas is now just about the only time I wear brooches now, but what fond memories! Bring them back ladies, I’m ready!

December 10, 2018 / 10:57 am

That sounds so fun Connie. Bring them out and start pinning them on sweaters, scarves, jackets, and coats. We have the power to bring them back by wearing and enjoying them.

14. December 10, 2018 / 6:58 am

Pinning your scarf in place with a broach is genius. I don’t usually wear them but this is a perfect unusual and chic idea.

15. December 10, 2018 / 7:05 am

You look fantastic. BBest outfit yet. The black hat looks mysterious aand the animal, plaid and broach all blend together. It’s tough getting your perfect mixed look. We all strive for this and it is a delicate balance. Fantastic!

December 12, 2018 / 8:47 am

Thanks so much Judy!

16. December 10, 2018 / 7:09 am

I love this look-plaid, leopard, brooch look.I first thought about brooches again when I saw Julie Arkell wearing and making them in her
    craft workshop. Hers are boho, unique and quirky.

How about a post on how to wear wraps or ponchos without getting the frumpy look?

Judy

December 12, 2018 / 8:48 am

Great idea! I love wearing wraps and have several ponchos too. I’ll get together for you.

December 10, 2018 / 7:22 am

Funny thing, I ran across a 30 year old video blogger who suggested wearing a brooch to elevate her blazer! The only difference was, it was a double C pin from CHANEL. If I look around to see what the younger people are wearing, that could give me a clue if I was current or not, if I want to be current. I do notice everyone looks the same lately, dark clothing, jeans, casual, and long hair, on younger women. Just my observation locally.

December 12, 2018 / 8:51 am

It’s an accurate observation!

18. Mary
    December 10, 2018 / 7:43 am

I do wear brooches. One for everyday of the year. They are my signature piece and I have curated a beautiful collection of fine work by artisans. I don’t care if someone doesn’t like that. Yours looks grand.

December 12, 2018 / 8:53 am

That’s so wonderful Mary!! I would love to see your collection.

19. Karen Mathewson
    December 10, 2018 / 7:58 am

Your outfit is so cute, festive and sassy! I love the broach and scarf together, too.

20. Lily
    December 10, 2018 / 8:18 am

I had to search out the article. The author does have some new “don’ts”. You really can’t argue with her ill-fitting bra and out of date glasses “don’ts”. My 20- something niece does an elaborate black cat eye and she can keep that look. I love vintage brooches worn with denim or for a dressy look. At my age I’m really questioning who gets to say what is in style and why?

December 12, 2018 / 8:55 am

We get to say. We have earned the right to wear what makes us happy and style our clothes as we like.

21. Karen
    December 10, 2018 / 8:19 am

Thank you Jennifer – you look fantastic! I haven’t worn brooches for about 15-20 years I think. I wore a scarf last week that would NOT stay in place and I told myself that next time I wear the scarf I am going to use a brooch to hold it in place!

December 12, 2018 / 8:57 am

Thanks Karen..it helps to pin through to your sweater or jacket. Everything stays right where it belongs.

22. Penelope
    December 10, 2018 / 8:35 am

In my 68 year old opinion, what makes women look unflatteringly older are the following: poorly groomed hair– stringy, unattractive greying, and “trying to recapture the 60’s” hair ,; too tight, too short, too revealing clothes; sloppy shoes that reveal badly groomed feet; too much make up ; frumpy dirndl skirts (especially long ones) ; wearing any colors and styles that are wrong for them, even if they are currently fashionable… this will age any woman. My observation is that wearing flattering clothes, hair style, and make up for each individual is about finding ones harmony of shapes, patterns, scale, style and color . Even texture has visual impact that can becunflattering (Wearing a black shiny satin blouse instantly ages me 10 years) Finding and practicing that harmony is a learned skill. I would advise starting with a color consultant but too many are not adequately trained and do not evaluate clients correctly. Check out credentials before investing in this. There are some great fashion consultants offering tips about color and style on YouTube that are helpful and fun guides to self exploration.
    I do like A Well Styled Life. Jennifer clearly has good taste and has taken time and effort to develop an awareness of what is flattering to her. It might be interesting for her to show examples of what doesn’t work for her. Sometimes that contrast can be a helpful learning exercise.
    Ultimately everyone has her own ” expert” opinion about fashion. These are just mine.
    Btw… I love brooches and have worn them since I was a child! The snowflake on plaid is just perfect! Worn well!

December 12, 2018 / 9:03 am

You make excellent points here Penelope. Some may not feel as expert as they like but trial and error along with some professional advice can be really helpful. I am a certified image consultant and spent many years helping women hone their personal style. It is my hope that this blog can help a wider audience.

23. Sandra Matthews
    December 10, 2018 / 8:40 am

I have some wonderful brooches I haven’t worn in a long time. After reading your piece today, I’m going to start wearing them again.
    I agree with you Jennifer, don’t tell me what I should wear, until you’ve walked a mile in my shoes.

PS You look fabulous…brooch and all.

Thanks for the great articles.

December 12, 2018 / 9:09 am

Thanks Sandra…get those beauties out and pin them on!

24. Jeanette C klemczak
    December 10, 2018 / 8:56 am

Your post discussion on “brooches” reminded me of a wonderful role model: Madeleine Albright, our first female Secretary of State and her wonderful style trademark of the “brooch”. Loved seeing what she was wearing at huge national and global events.

• Lily
      December 11, 2018 / 7:49 am

I immediately thought of Michelle Obama and Madeleine Albright and their brooches also.

December 12, 2018 / 7:31 am

Yes, she wore them all the time and looked fabulous in them. I love that she had a trademark to her style.

25. Linda Lennon
    December 10, 2018 / 9:06 am

I have a small collection of Christmas pins and scarves that I bring out every year. A number of the pins are snowflakes which I think work all winter. Now that I am retired to Southern California my pin wearing days are limited but my little granddaughters were sporting ones at breakfast with Santa this weekend. I own 2 gorgeous cameos, one of which was given to me by my mother on the day I was married 47 years ago. Wish I could wear it more often & whenever I do it sparks a lot of interest. Now tell me what 30ish young lady could ever really know about style and the mature woman. Wear what makes you feel good!

December 12, 2018 / 7:29 am

I love that your grandaughters will be wearing your pins. I gave my grandmothers cameo to my daughter because I never wore it and she adores it. Jewelry is meant to be shared and passed down.

26. December 10, 2018 / 9:32 am

No you certainly don’t look older but then I could be biased as a big fan of yours. . You look on trend in your hat too. It’s so annoying and condescending isn’t it.

Anna at Muttonstyle

December 10, 2018 / 2:02 pm

You’re so sweet Anna, thank you.

27. December 10, 2018 / 12:54 pm

All this chatter about what we “should” and “should not” wear are a little sad, I think, because they make us overly-conscious of our age, especially after 60 or thereabouts. Being a Red Hatter, I espouse the attitude that I can and should wear anything I like, as long as it doesn’t show too much skin and it doesn’t make me look like I’m trying too hard to be super-trendy. I love odd little accessories that have meaning only for myself.

December 10, 2018 / 2:01 pm

I love odd little accessories too Sue!

28. Sharon
    December 10, 2018 / 1:04 pm

Love the look, you look great in those jeans. The belt and scarf adds adds a nice
    holiday touch. I don’t wear brooches but yours is nice.

29. Kay
    December 10, 2018 / 2:28 pm

I love Nevada City, but I haven’t been there in ages. I AM old, so I guess whatever I wear makes me “look old.” LOL. I wear what I like and what looks best on me. Some silly child’s idea of how I should dress makes no difference to me. I don’t like some of the get-ups I see on the younger women, but I haven’t yet started writing articles on how they should dress. (Are you aware, young miss, that the color of your tattoo clashes wildly with your lipstick? I guess I’d better not get myself started on that.)

December 12, 2018 / 7:05 am

You made me laugh Kay! My mother had a funny expression, “the sights you see when you don’t have your gun with you”

30. Pat
    December 10, 2018 / 2:53 pm

You look terrific well put together in an age appropbut with youthful flair. I have a thirty something daughter and daughter in law. I don’t try to imitate them. I like clothes that fit well in good fabrics. I agree good underpinnings go a long way to elevate the look along with good grooming. I wear my hair a bit longer than I did my 40’s and early 50’s. I am comfortable in what I wear. Enjoy your style. Thanks for your continued blogging.

December 12, 2018 / 7:26 am

Thanks, Pat. I too don’t want to look like a 20-year-old, and I’m sure she wouldn’t want to look like me but we can have fun with style and wear what makes us feel and looks our best.

31. Kathleen O'Brien
    December 10, 2018 / 3:42 pm

Oh good grief! If brooches and pins make a person look old, well, then I’m in good company with you and others! I’ve gotten so many compliments on brooches. I’ve done cluster of them on a sweater, all Christmas trees I’ve collected, looked so festive and fun. I’ve had people stop me, asking about some of the rhinestone ones clustered on a denim jacket. I think it depends on the brooch and the way you wear your clothes and accessories.
    You have panache and youthful attitude. You wear your outfits with a certain flair and creativity. You may be mature in age, but certainly not in your style and way you present yourself. I love following you and getting new ideas on styling myself.

December 12, 2018 / 7:22 am

I’m going to cluster some on today Kathleen! Thanks for inspiring me;)

32. Carol
    December 10, 2018 / 4:07 pm

Let’s see what happens in about 5 years when some designer decides that brooches are cool & puts them on the runway. Then there will be lots of stories on “Not your Grandma’s Brooches,” only they will look just like my Grandma’s! I still have a drawerful of brooches passed down from my mom & aunt that I wore in the last revival-was it the 90s or all the way into the new millenium? Ah, having a knowledge of history causes my smug smiles when I see these types of articles on the “newest & freshest” ways of styling _______. (Fill in the blank) Do I sound like an old curmudgeon?

December 12, 2018 / 7:20 am

You sound right on the money to me Carol. Pins are always in style if we like them. You’re so lucky to have your Grandmother’s brooches!!

December 10, 2018 / 5:31 pm

You look fabulous, my dear (to borrow a phrase). And you have inspired me to dig into my jewelry box to wear brooches I haven’t worn in years.

December 12, 2018 / 7:03 am

Yay! Pin them on Eileen;)

34. Margot
    December 15, 2018 / 2:52 pm

At almost 60, I shouldn’t be wearing everything my almost 30-yo daughter is wearing! As long as I look good it really shouldn’t matter what I’m wearing.