Would You Wear It: Sequins

Would You Wear It: Sequins

Happy Saturday ladies. That was a short week! Welcome to would you wear it. Most of you love this series but several of my readers have said they hate them. Since most comments are constructive and kind, I’ll continue and assume the ladies that dislike the series just won’t open these posts;)

Each Saturday Pam Lutrell of Over 50 Feeling 40 and I share a mannequin we’ve found and ask if you’d wear what she’s wearing.

My daughter and I had lunch at Neiman Marcus, overlooking Union Square last week and spotted this party outfit.

Tell me, ladies, would you wear this look in part or whole? We all get ideas for each other and this can be a fun learning experience.

The after Christmas sales are intense so here are the updates:

Talbots is having their famous Red Hanger sale which only happens twice a year – 40 % off all markdowns and an extra 10% for Talbots cardmembers. Shop early because  the best things go fast.

Nordstrom Half Yearly sale is on with up to 50% off.

Petite Sale

Plus Sale

Ann Taylor – End of Season sale – 40% off full priced with the code REFRESH and an extra 60% off sale

Soft Surroundings – Winter Sale up to 70% off

J.Jill – up to 40% off over 700 styles

Bloomingdales – up to 75% off

Eileen Fisher – extra 30% off sale

Now let’s go see what Pam’s mannequin is wearing here.

Thanks for reading and have a great day!

1. December 29, 2018 / 4:05 am

Oh, the possibilities! I would never wear both pieces together, because that’s just too many sequins for me. I can see that top as a beautiful piece to wear with narrow black pants with or without a blazer/ jacket or shawl. I think it would even be fun to wear with skinny jeans for a casual evening out. I’m not sure I would wear those sequined pants. I can imagine a lot of ways to wear them. But for my style, the sequined pants are a bit too much. I do think they are pretty.

December 29, 2018 / 7:42 am

Thanks for exposing how you’d style it Missy. I can picture it perfectly.

2. December 29, 2018 / 4:06 am

Yes, I would wear sequins…NO, I would not wear them in an outfit like this. A few well placed sequins can add a little fun and sparkle…especially for the holidays. But this is too much and not flattering pieces for a curvy body type like mine. So, glad to return to Would You Wear It with you Jennifer!

• Susan Gowan
      December 29, 2018 / 6:22 am

I will join the majority in saying No to this outfit. At this point I like my sparkles and sequins somewhat subdued and no to bare arms, for me anyway. Am glad you included selectuons for plus sizes as they look stylish and chic. Happy New Year to you and yours. I look forward to new slants on your blog.

December 29, 2018 / 7:39 am

Happy New Year Susan!

December 29, 2018 / 7:53 am

Glad you’re back Pam!

December 29, 2018 / 4:09 am

I think sequins are fun for the holidays or special occasions! But I wouldn’t wear this particular outfit for a couple of reasons – I don’t wear anything sleeveless and while I think sequins are fun, head-to-toe is a little too much for me. So I might wear the pants with a non-sequin top.
    I’m so glad that you’re continuing with Would You Wear It – I love it!!

December 29, 2018 / 8:00 am

Thanks for explaining Susan. Happy Nee Year.

4. December 29, 2018 / 4:10 am

Hi Jennifer….I love this outfit! (If only i had somewhere to wear it…lol)! The sparkly effect is wow, and is perfect for a splashy New Years party! And for those of us in colder climates, if needed to, a great sparkly shawl or similar long cardi to cover our arms, would work!
    Ah, if only I had a gala party to attend!

5. Sandy
    December 29, 2018 / 4:16 am

It’s not the sequins that bother me with this look, because I’d wear it if I lived in Florida or a warm climate for the holidays. What bothers me is this a holiday look and holidays are in December (the winter time in case designers have forgotten.) Many of us live in cold climates. If I wore this sleeveless look, I’d freeze to death. Often I see women’s fashions for formal wear sport the same theme. A man gets a long sleeved shirt under a jacket and a women’s choices are mostly spaghetti straps. So – it’s not the “look” that bothers me, but the fact that my arms would be hanging out. I love the sparkly, festive look of this outfit and would wear it if the hostess promised to turn the heat up!

6. beth byrd
    December 29, 2018 / 4:25 am

I like sequins but this outfit has too much a good thing!

I think this sequinned fabric would make a beautiful scarf that would dress up a black dress or pants outfit.

Glad to see you are continuing this feature, Jennifer!

7. Gail Schwartz
    December 29, 2018 / 4:25 am

Simply stunning, but probably very expensive. I don’t like to spend a lot of money on an outfit I can’t wear often.

December 29, 2018 / 7:57 am

I agree that investing in pieces that get worn often makes more sense.

8. Gail
    December 29, 2018 / 4:30 am

Would definitely wear the top with slim black pants.

9. Susan
    December 29, 2018 / 4:41 am

Too Liberace for me.

10. Marnell
    December 29, 2018 / 4:54 am

I love it and would wear them together and separately. The advantage of living in Florida 😁. But I don’t have a party to wear it to. To all the women who responded they wouldn’t because of body type? Give it a try, get outside that comfort zone….never judge an outfit and how it would lay on you by how it lays on a mis-shaped mannequin. Happy New Year!

December 29, 2018 / 7:43 am

Happy New Year Marnell! I agree we need to try things on and see how they look on our body.

11. December 29, 2018 / 4:58 am

No, I would not wear. I actually do not wear sequined tops because I don’t like feeling the sequins on my pair arms. Usually these tops are short sleeved and I cannot stand getting scratched by sequins. I cannot justify buying this because I would only wear on New Years Eve.

December 29, 2018 / 7:18 am

Sequin scratching is a problem.

12. December 29, 2018 / 4:59 am

Oops! I meant to say bare arms..

13. Mary
    December 29, 2018 / 5:00 am

I would wear the top with tuxedo pants or a great skirt. Those pants are too much! The entire outfit would not work for me.

14. Yvonne Chamberlain
    December 29, 2018 / 5:18 am

The look IS pretty, but not appropriate for a Minnesota girl in winter. I personally would not have occasions for it. I’m retired and too curvy. On the right figure it is elegant and simple. (Mrs. George Clooney?)

December 29, 2018 / 7:22 am

Thanks for explaining the lifestyle component here Yvonne.

15. Beth Wappler
    December 29, 2018 / 5:19 am

I like the outfit but wouldn’t wear it myself. I might wear the top with a pair of slim black pants though.

And I do enjoy the Would you Wear it series. I find them fun. I hate some of the outfits but others I like and it is always interesting to read what people think of an outfit and why they like or don’t like it.

December 29, 2018 / 7:24 am

I agree Beth. Hearing why women like or dislike an outfit is fascinating to me.

December 29, 2018 / 5:30 am

I would not wear this because it is too much (too many sequins) and not enough (needs some sheer long sleeves). Also, my 5’4” frame would be overwhelmed by the pants.

December 29, 2018 / 7:24 am

Thanks Linda. The pants are pretty wide.

17. Lea
    December 29, 2018 / 5:34 am

Love it! But only if the top wasn’t scratchy on my arms. That’s a style that suits me so I’d wear it with a blazer for the holidays then split it up afterwards. The top with a pair of jeans and blazer is perfect. The pants with a soft sweater would be lovely for a dinner out… and so on… but again, only if the sequins aren’t scratchy!

December 29, 2018 / 7:25 am

I love your styling ideas Lea. I’d do the same.

18. Lori Stewart
    December 29, 2018 / 5:34 am

I love the outfit and would wear it happily. It has panache and isn’t a stuffy look.

December 29, 2018 / 7:26 am

Thanks Lori. It’s certainly fun!

19. Phyllis
    December 29, 2018 / 5:50 am

Hmmmmm…my first thought would be the sequins rubbing together between your thighs as I walk. I don’t think that would be very comfortable. I can just envision sequins flying off as I walk. Even when I weigh 100 pounds my thighs rub together. All those sequins would be heavy, too, and would require some structure, which means the fabric is not going to drape well. Unless you are tall and super slim, wide leg pants need to be drapey to look good. The top is a possibility, but not for me. I don’t need sparkle all over my size 38H girls to make them look bigger than they already are. I would wear a top of black crepe with a V-neck with a 1 1/2” band of sequins around the V that joined together into a 3 inch strip going down the front. It needs long sheer black sleeves gathered into a narrow band with sequins around the band. Worn with slim or boot cut black pants and black heels it would be an elegant and slimming look for the holidays. That is how I would wear sequins.

December 29, 2018 / 7:30 am

Thanks for your explanation and morning chuckle Phyliss. Your visuals are perfection!

December 29, 2018 / 6:04 am

If it had sleeves, either short or long, I would wear it to a sparkling New Years Eve party! I love it!

December 29, 2018 / 7:30 am

Thanks Linda. Happy New Year

21. Amy
    December 29, 2018 / 6:05 am

This outfit is cute and makes a statement, but no, I wouldn’t wear it. Like someone mentioned above, it’s cold this time of year. Why do designers not make great warm party pieces? Sleeveless, short, just doesn’t work for me. I’ve wondered about this since I was a teen. Why do women have to wear “less” to be dressy and men wear “more”, a suit?

December 29, 2018 / 7:32 am

That’s an interesting observation Amy. It is cold for sleeveless. Thanks for sharing it with us.

22. Mary K
    December 29, 2018 / 6:16 am

The all-over sequins would be over-kill for me and any party I’d be going to. However, I like the color and design except for no sleeves. Would definitely need long sleeves. I can see wearing this for a New Year’s Eve party/dance but alas I have none to go to!!

December 29, 2018 / 7:33 am

Thanks Mary. I think most of us agree about the sleeves. Happy New Year.

23. Corinna
    December 29, 2018 / 6:19 am

I agree – head to toe it is too much. I might buy the top. I have the perfect cardigan to top it in the winter & go sleeveless in the summer. I want a better look at the shoes!

December 29, 2018 / 7:35 am

The shoes are a sandal. I couldn’t see them very well

December 29, 2018 / 6:22 am

This is an outfit I would like to see on another person but not me. As others have said, a touch of sequins are fine but this is too much of an investment for something you would rarely wear and I would freeze if I wore it in Canada in December. I think a shawl or sweater may take away from the look.

December 29, 2018 / 7:36 am

Thanks for explaining Janet.

25. Mary
    December 29, 2018 / 6:27 am

I actually like this outfit and I think it would be stunning alternative for a tall thin woman who is seeking an outfit for a formal affair. Unfortunately, I am neither, and no formal affairs in my near future. And as noted, it would not be very warm. I like this feature; it is a fun moment in my weekend!

December 29, 2018 / 7:40 am

Thanks Mary. It’s fun for many of us. I love discussing fashion with you all.

26. Pam Tipton
    December 29, 2018 / 6:30 am

Rachel Zoe spoke to our Women’s Club and wore a sequined pant suit. It was fabulous! Not for me, though.

December 29, 2018 / 7:40 am

I’ve seen her in a sequined pant suit. Smashing!!

27. Susan Clark
    December 29, 2018 / 6:38 am

This is such a fun outfit. I could see my 20-something daughter wearing this – she is tall and thin and frequently wears sleeveless tops. I did purchase a sheer black open front cardigan with black embroidery and a smattering of sequins. It’s lovely and I received many compliments. I wore it with pencil black slacks and silky tank.

December 29, 2018 / 7:18 am

That sounds like a great outfit

28. Cheryl D
    December 29, 2018 / 6:39 am

I would wear this outfit. I like the neckline as I am far more conscious of the skin on my neck than my arms. The sparkle is fun, depending on the party. But… yes.

December 29, 2018 / 7:17 am

Sparkle is fun!

29. L H Carter
    December 29, 2018 / 6:54 am

This is a fabulous outfit on the mannequin. I love it’s presentation. Alas, I am too practical and agree with previous comments about the sequin thigh rub and sleevelessness during winter’s chill. But I do so want to be dancing on New’s Eve in this great party look with my arms flung up in the arm to celebrate the new chances that 2019 will bring us.

December 29, 2018 / 7:16 am

I love your attitude. Happy New Year

30. Amanda
    December 29, 2018 / 7:19 am

Not this outfit, but I am wearing a Lafayette sequin skirt to our son’s rehearsal dinner tomorrow night. It is so pretty and I think it will be an investment piece in my wardrobe. I have seen it styled with suede boots and a black sweater, but I am going a bit dressier. I have seen a navy sequin skirt at Forever 21 that is nice and bet a lot less expensive.

December 29, 2018 / 7:49 am

That sounds like a great outfit Amanda. Lafayette makes gorgeous pieces.

31. Sarah
    December 29, 2018 / 7:27 am

This one of those “young and skinny” outfits. That is about the only type that can wear this and look good.

December 29, 2018 / 7:45 am

I would love to wear this to a New Year’s Eve party, in a warm room with a roaring fireplace! I don’t look good in bright red or black so it’s nice to see something festive in this color.

December 29, 2018 / 7:50 am

I’m a big fan of this navy too. I used to own a sequined sweater set in navy which I donated in a moment of insanity!

33. December 29, 2018 / 7:53 am

I would wear the top, I’m sure, but probably not the slacks. I also want to add that the “Would you Wear It” column is very helpful to me. I don’t get to shop with my sister anymore, but when we did, she would give me the fashion advice that I greatly needed. I look forward to seeing what you post and hearing from other women (of like ages) and it gives me great perspective. Thanks, Jennifer- please don’t stop doing this! 😊

December 29, 2018 / 1:58 pm

I’m so glad it’s helpful Jan. I really enjoy hearing what women like and why they choose what they do so we will continue:)

• BeeeBeee
      December 30, 2018 / 7:00 am

Very pretty for the right body shape, occasion, and climate, but not for me. First, it is too dark and second, I share concerns about the sequins being too heavy. Also, the pants legs wouldn’t be flattering for me. Lastly, such limited wear items would have to be inexpensive.

December 29, 2018 / 8:04 am

Beauty! This outfit would wake up a room! I’m of two minds on this one. I love it as an outfit but it would be too much bling for my lifestyle. I would most definitely wear the top with navy trousers to a New Year’s party. Or, team it with blue jeans for a more casual but still festive party. I was thinking, if you tucked the top into the bottoms and belted it like a jumpsuit, then added a jacket, that would would calm it down. Kind of like throwing a blanket over a bird cage.

December 29, 2018 / 11:57 am

I love your analogy:) Thanks for sharing Joanna

35. December 29, 2018 / 8:16 am

Though it’s pretty, that outfit is too much sparkle for me! I would wear a similar but less slouchy sequinned top under a jacket for holiday season events. I’d pair them with a plainer pant and a dressy shoe.

36. Cyndi
    December 29, 2018 / 8:19 am

I really enjoy this series so hope you and Pam will continue! Todays outfit is a bit too many sequins for me but I think on a younger (or maybe wide shoulders, narrow hips body shape) it would look great. I would purchase the top to wear with a non-sequined pair of pants – maybe velvet jeans? Happy New Year!

December 29, 2018 / 11:59 am

Velvet jeans would be great with the top. Happy New Year Cyndi!

37. December 29, 2018 / 8:19 am

If it had sleeves I’d wear it in a heartbeat!

38. Carol in VT
    December 29, 2018 / 8:28 am

As a former community theater actress, I have a great sequinned tuxedo jacket in my closet that I have worn for my students at important events. They love it! That being said, I have not had an occasion to wear it “in real life.” But I keep it anyway…just in case. I like the pictured outfit, but like others above, I think the top is fine, but not both pieces. Also, at 4′ 11″ it would be waaay too much for me. I think the pictured look is best for someone long and lean. Add to that, like the northern-climate ladies who commented above, I live in Vermont, so…Keep the would you wear it posts. They are fun.

December 29, 2018 / 12:00 pm

Your jacket sounds amazing!! What a shame to limit it’s fun. Is it a dark color? Could you pair it with jeans to dress it down? I think I would.

December 29, 2018 / 8:55 am

Yes, but with some changes, sequined pants are too thick of material, and I agree the sequins would rub off and catch on the inner thigh area. And added sleeves. I tried on a jumpsuit in a lighter weight sparkly fabric with sleeves similar to this in black, a more wearable fabric, and more subdued, that I would wear. Sequins in general would hold up better on tops and jackets I would guess. I like would you wear it, I hope the retailers are reading it as well.

40. Rosemary Brock
    December 29, 2018 / 8:57 am

Think you have to be tall to wear this. So no wouldn’t work for me.

December 29, 2018 / 9:03 am

P.S. I wonder if the elongated maniquins are throwing the purchasers off?

December 29, 2018 / 1:40 pm

Interesting thought!

42. December 29, 2018 / 9:29 am

I probably would not wear this particular sequin outfit, but I would definitely try it on. It’s difficult to know how light weight the fabric is or how it drapes on the body without actually trying it on. Some sequined fabric is a heavier weight than others. It also depends on if the pants are fully lined, sequined pants can be very uncomfortable. I love sequined tops and I own 4 different sequined tops. One off white sleeveless sequined top with a cowl neck that I usually wear under a blazer, two short sleeved sequined tops (one is red and the other is medium blue) and one 3/4 sleeved bronze/gold top that has very tiny sequins. I prefer to wear any of my sequined tops with dressy black pants.
    I have a young friend, 35, petite and very slim that has a totally sequined outfit very similar to the one shown and she looks fabulous in it. Her outfit is also sleeveless and all over black sequins – it’s her new “party – wow! “ look this year.

December 29, 2018 / 1:42 pm

Thanks for explaining and yes, sequins can be very heavy;)

43. Anon
    December 29, 2018 / 9:38 am

My lifestyle isn’t sequins and glam. However, I like this top and would tone it down with a black leather jacket…if I had somewhere to wear it. Sequins are scratchy, so I can’t imagine sitting on them. Sequined pants will never be for me.

But really, I don’t see the need for sequins in my life.

December 29, 2018 / 1:47 pm

All great points, thanks

44. Kay
    December 29, 2018 / 10:07 am

Younger, slimmer, taller me would love to wear this. I think it’s the color that works so well. Something sedate and comfortable like good old navy jazzed up with outrageous sequins. Older, wider, shorter me could not pull it off, alas.

PS Please keep your partnership with Pam going! Naysayers can read something else.

December 29, 2018 / 1:48 pm

Thanks, Kay, Pam and I like these conversations so we will keep it going:)

45. Debra
    December 29, 2018 / 10:07 am

I love it. But like others said, no where to wear it and not sure it would flatter my curves and large breast. I have a black sequin tank top that I wear for a bit of sass, but with a sweater and dress pants or jeans. That works better in my casual lifestyle. I’m new to this blog and enjoying it! Debra

December 29, 2018 / 1:49 pm

Welcome Debra, I’m so glad you’re here!

46. Nancy D.
    December 29, 2018 / 10:12 am

EEK! I wonder whether the ladies who responded positively to the top realize that it has draping ties at the neck and leaves one’s back exposed, making underwear … what? … impossible? The pieces are insanely expensive as well.

December 30, 2018 / 7:36 am

They are pricey

47. Connie
    December 29, 2018 / 11:27 am

I love the drape of the top and pants, but after reading the hysterically funny comments on the rubbing of the sequins, I realize very few could pull this off. I can image a lovely slim older model with her silver hair in a bob would be stunning. I would buy the top and own a similar one in silver that I wear with a grey crepe tuxedo pantsuit. I haven’t worn it in 6 years but I can’t part with it. I do love navy for party attire but it is so much harder to coordinate than black formal wear.

December 29, 2018 / 1:52 pm

I love black for formal as well. I just use black or metallic accessories because it’s hard to get navies to match.

48. December 29, 2018 / 11:27 am

This outfit made me smile. So for that alone I say thank you. Unfortunately this would not work in the rain filled Northwest nor for my mature shape.

Great input on the outfit. I look forward to this Saturday feature.

49. Pat
    December 29, 2018 / 11:51 am

I would not wear this outfit as it seems over the top and it would overwhelm me since I am short. Like others, I am not fond of sleeveless in the winter as I don’t like being cold. But I do wear sequins. I purchased a pair of sequined trousers in black from Chico’s that have sequins on the front and velvet on the back. They are a slim fit, and I wear it with a beautiful tunic or blouse or sweater. And it looks great with my velvet blazer.

50. Becky
    December 29, 2018 / 12:12 pm

I think the outfit is stunning, if a bit overwhelming. The only piece I would possibly wear is the top. I would have to wear it under a jacket or cardigan, as I no longer wear sleeveless anything. I would try it with simple black slacks & very simple accessories.

51. Karen
    December 29, 2018 / 12:14 pm

I would wear the top with slim black pants and heels if I were tall, thin and under 40!

52. Susan
    December 29, 2018 / 1:23 pm

I think it’s beautiful and I would love to wear it if I had an occasion to.I assume it’s well made and the sequins are sewn on so they are comfortable.Anything you want to write about is fun,Jennifer

December 29, 2018 / 1:56 pm

I agree, at this price they are likely sewn on very well. Thanks Susan.

53. Mumbai
    December 30, 2018 / 1:30 am

either or ….not both together…. to much is too much.

54. Marcia Rayne
    December 30, 2018 / 1:21 pm

I like the look. I like the dramatic black. Not sure how the wide legged pants would look on me but I would definitely try them on. Love the sequins and would for sure wear the top. I am not concerned about being too cold. Just about any holiday look will need a jacket or shawl. I have a solid black shawl with lace trim that would work well for drafty rooms . And of course, a blazer would suffice as a backup. Classy outfit! I am tired of old lady clothes- thanks for a refreshing change.

55. Diana
    December 30, 2018 / 9:01 pm

If I had the body for it, perhaps. But in a different color, I look very bland in grays and silvers.

56. Isajo
    December 30, 2018 / 10:27 pm

Thank you Jennifer for your great ideas…I can see it looking amazing on a young tall woman but not for me at 5’3 with 75yr old withered up arms hanging out 😉 …Would possibly wear the top if it had sleeves and I had somewhere special to wear it but it’s a no from me…I have got some silk Kaftans however with diamanté’s strategicly placed onto the patterns and really loving the subtle sparkles of them…Kaftans are great for our hot summers in Aussie but also fab with leggings and jumpers etc underneath for winter..I wear them in London in winter when over there too ..very on trend here at the moment and suit me at size 8 and my larger friends up to 22 plus… Would love some styling ideas if you have any for them as I have long short Hi Lo and open ones and been knotting and tying them etc which is fun and giving many different looks from each ….Camilla and Silk Islands are the ones I have…….I tend to stick with back leggings and tops underneath…the cat woman look lol

57. Mary
    December 31, 2018 / 6:20 am

Yes I would totally wear this outfit. I am a ballroom dancer (just fun) and love when my friends sparkle on the dance floor.

58. Téa
    December 31, 2018 / 5:17 pm

I’m never sure how to answer these posts, but I like them…Would I wear it? YES – in a heartbeat!! To NYE, a gala, Vegas, my own party! Could I wear it? Not the top, because I must wear a bra…I think that because it’s 2 pieces, it makes it much more versatile than a jumpsuit. I very much like the shoes, block heel and all…To me, it’s a fun outfit and very LIZA!! Love the color, too!! I mostly “rent” formal wear these days from “Rent the Runway”…I’ve had great luck and I’m curvy and petite…