My Unusual Haircut

My Unusual Haircut

Several readers have commented on my hair and asked about my haircut so I’ve decided to tell its story. I know that sounds lame but our hair does have a story – here’s mine.

I’ve never considered my hair to be my crowning glory. It’s baby fine, poker straight and has been thinning in recent years.

the best haircut for my fine hair by Jennifer Connolly of A Well Styled LifeI’ve been trying to increase its body for as long as I can remember. My Mom even tried. I was that little girl sitting at the kitchen table with a towel over her face, gagging on toxic fumes as I got a Toni perm. Remember those? They took forever and the results weren’t cute. Think poodle.

I moved on to body waves but they weren’t better. They added body but were tough on my hair and caused a lot of breakage.

Bobs are classic and make fine hair feel thicker. I wore variations of a bob for 40 years but needed a change. Short layered cuts can be styled to look poufy which I tried. I wore an uber short haircut in my 30’s and discovered that my wide square face and broad shoulders are more flattered by longer hair.

Jennifer Connolly of A Well Styled Life hair products she uses for volume

Volumizer / Doo-Over Dry Powder Spray / Finishing Spray / Body Builder Mousse

I’ve now found great products that add body to my hair ( here’s how I use them) but the best thing by far is the right haircut.

I wear a disconnected haircut. It combines two styles, that are disconnected halfway down my head. The side and top are layered shorter, the bottom and back is a bob. I sweep the sides behind my ears because I have a square face and this helps slim its look.back view of the best haircut for fine hair on jennifer connolly of a well styled life

My old stylist gave me this haircut which is perfect for my hair. It looks thicker, has more body, is easy to style and keeps its shape all day. I’ve happily worn this cut for the last 4 years.

Fast forward –  we’ve moved and I have a new stylist. I’ve shown her my pictures and videos several times (bloggers have tons of photo’s) but she just isn’t getting it. She’s tried 3 times and each is flatter than before. The last time she cut it the stylist next to us chuckled and murmured “like a mullet”.

Um, no. Not like a mullet…visions of Michael Bolton flashed through my head and I knew I was in the wrong salon.disconnected haircut onjennifer Connolly of A Well Styled Life fine hair

Knowing what haircut I want doesn’t mean this new stylist is capable of giving it to me so I’ve moved on. As you read this I’m in the car driving two hours each way to go back to my old stylist. Hair is important and with thin hair, the cut is critical.Jennifer Connolly of A Well Styled Life sharing the best haircut for her fine hair

Have you found the perfect haircut for your hair? Does it flatter your face and body shape?

Thanks for reading and have a great day!

Affiliate links within this post may generate income for AWSL

1. December 13, 2018 / 3:41 am

Hair cut, stylist is sooooo important. Most seem to want the clients hair SHORT. No. I too have a squarish full face, and short is wrong! I need a longish bob, with layering on top. I get compliments with longer hair(shaped) and when I do it myself…..why?

December 13, 2018 / 7:41 pm

Probably because you know how it looks best and know how to style it. We have to listen to our instincts.

2. Karen
    December 13, 2018 / 4:09 am

I travel an hour to my old stylist. I tried 2 stylists when I moved and they didn’t get it! I would call your style a stacked Bob. I like it!

December 13, 2018 / 7:41 pm

I’m so glad I’m not the only one traveling to see her stylist.

3. beth byrd
    December 13, 2018 / 4:14 am

I agree that finding the right stylist makes all the difference!! I have very curly hair and I finally found a stylist who knows how to cut and style my hair in a way that is just right for me. She also knows how to straighten it for those times I don’t want to wear it curly. She is a gem!! And, I would drive hours to keep her!!

By the way, love your hair style!

December 13, 2018 / 7:42 pm

You’re so lucky to have found her Beth! Thank you

4. Susan
    December 13, 2018 / 4:27 am

Here’s a thought: Immediately after having your old stylist do your hair, visit a local stylist and say, “This is what I want.” Let the stylist play with your hair, check out the layers, see how your hair falls. Then *maybe* you’ll get a decent cut. But maybe just stick with your original stylist. I love your hair style. It’s flattering and breezy.

December 13, 2018 / 7:44 pm

That’s a great idea Susan but I’m so happy to have my old one back, I’m afraid to go elsewhere now. Maybe I can work my nerve up later

5. December 13, 2018 / 4:28 am

A good haircut is so worth the drive and yours looks very good.

December 13, 2018 / 7:46 pm

I agree! I’d drive a long way to see here. After all it’s not every week

6. Deborah Broughton
    December 13, 2018 / 4:41 am

I have had the best stylist for my thick unruly hair for about 2 years when she decided to move about 6 hours away to NOLA ! So I am lucky so far she comes back here once a month to check in at her salon here. Before her my hair was always am embarasing challenge!

December 13, 2018 / 7:47 pm

That’s what my stylist is doing!! She left the state after I moved but comes back every 6 weeks so I’m driving to see her.

7. Holly
    December 13, 2018 / 4:43 am

It’s really cute on you Jennifer…..I’m trying to let my hair grow out from being short for over 20 years. I just want a change as I age, my face is slender and my neck is long. I have a lot of body so therefore I can go a bit curly……which I love to finally show off my curls. I would drive a far distance if I had the right stylists who I loved and made me look beautiful!

December 13, 2018 / 8:14 pm

A stylist that can do that is priceless Holly. It sounds like a nice pretty change for you.

8. December 13, 2018 / 4:44 am

I have a different problem with my hair. I have very thick hair. I keep it short because it has no body at all! And I hate hair spray and only use it when going out to dinner or the theatre. I only use styling products in the winter since I live in Florida and keeping a “style” here in the summer is next to impossible! My hair looks great in my house but once I step out the door, my hair just flops. Using Styling gel in the summer just makes my hair gummy. I did find a really great stylist when we moved here, but it took 6 months before she got my hair the way I like it. The style is short and layered. I get it trimmed every 5 weeks. I would like to keep it a little bit longer, but I cannot deal with the hot weather and longer hair. I think your hairstyle looks great on you! It is very becoming. and I love the color!

December 13, 2018 / 8:17 pm

Humidity is tough on most hair textures. It would make mine look like a skull cap. I’m glad you found the perfect cut Linda That’s more than half the battle.

9. Sarah
    December 13, 2018 / 5:04 am

It’s all about the haircut–if you don’t have the right haircut, nothing works. It is so stressful to have to try to find a new hairdresser. I can understand the drive back to your old one. My husband learned a long time ago that if my hair is not right nothing is right. Good luck.

December 13, 2018 / 8:18 pm

Lol. Your husband is a wise man Sarah.

10. Lezlie Davis
    December 13, 2018 / 5:17 am

I have this same problem!!! My Mom always told me that I couldn’t wear long hair (even chin length) because it was fine and limp. My hair has always been short and looked good. Then I lost nearly 100 pounds 5 years ago and discovered my face shape wasn’t round … and at 60 (earlier this year) I decided to grow it out. With volumizing products it works! I’m loving doing something new. And I found a new stylist who “gets” my hair!

December 14, 2018 / 7:30 am

Congratulations Lezlie, that’s wonderful! Our face shape makes a big difference for our hairstyle.

11. Ann
    December 13, 2018 / 5:54 am

I too have very fine, straight hair. My haircut is very similar to yours.

12. Jackie Davis
    December 13, 2018 / 6:01 am

I dont blame you, your hair looks great! What color lip stick do you have on in the pic? I love it.

13. Libby
    December 13, 2018 / 6:07 am

You look beautiful. The haircut and style are perfect for you. We’re lucky when we can find the right style and stylist. Happy holidays.

December 14, 2018 / 7:34 am

Happy Holidays to you too Libby

14. Lynn
    December 13, 2018 / 6:29 am

Your hair looks great! I have a similar cut and find it hard to describe. I don’t personally like my stylist very much and she is expensive but she gives a great cut. Of course I choose the great cut over great personality! Hair IS important.

December 14, 2018 / 7:34 am

I’d choose cut over personality every day!

15. Kathy
    December 13, 2018 / 6:30 am

Oh, Jennifer! I can sure identify with your hair struggles over the years. My mother, a Shirley Temple lover, subjected me to the same awful Toni perms when I was in grade school. Believe me, my perms looked nothing like Shirley Temple’s hair and I still groan when I look at old photos of myself. Fast forward to now: I have been with the same stylist for over 15 years and have tried more hairstyles, colors and products than you can know. Most times I have been pleased, but I can never seem to replicate the way she styles my hair. I do like your current style and wore a similar style myself for several years. Now I wear my hair just about shoulder length with interior layers and a darker base color to boost texture and volume. Dry spray powder, dry shampoos and root boosters have been my best bets.

December 14, 2018 / 7:36 am

I’m a huge fan of dry spray too Kathy. I do need some deeper base in my hair but it will take time to get the color back in shape.

16. December 13, 2018 / 6:32 am

It’s fabulous. Typically, I suit long hair. I’m growing out my highlights, which is taking forever so I might shorted it at some point since, otherwise, uniform colour is about 5 years away!

December 14, 2018 / 7:38 am

Thanks, I hope I can get it back to some good shape. Several bad haircuts in a row have really messed it up. Growing out always feels torturous.

17. Debbie Davis
    December 13, 2018 / 6:33 am

Having been extremely dissatisfied with my colorist near my home and my haircutter “retiring to be a new full-time Mom”….I was faced with a similar challenge. Living 75 miles from NYC I chose to try my daughter’s haircutter and salon and have been thrilled ever since. I make the drive every couple of months and try to stretch out in-between colorings/trims etc. But to me – it is definitely worth the time and effort to get there…even with NY traffic!!

December 14, 2018 / 7:40 am

NYC has some of the best stylists ever. You’re so lucky you live in proximity and have found a good one.

18. Elizabeth
    December 13, 2018 / 6:52 am

Love the haircut. I have just the opposite hair. Mine is coarse, thick and straight. But thankful for a good hairdresser who gives me a great cut and recommends products. That all being said my hairdresser recently received her Real Estate License and I am always teasing her about making that big sale and no more cutting hair. She said she doesn’t think she can totally give it up though.

December 14, 2018 / 7:41 am

Oh, oh…they make a lot more with a real estate sale than cutting hair. For your sake, I hope she stays cutting at least part-time.

19. Susan Cregg
    December 13, 2018 / 7:12 am

Do you have the video you mentioned posted anywhere online? I used to wear a very similar haircut, but since I moved I can no longer find anyone who can replicate it, and unlike you, I was not smart enough to take pictures of a fresh cut. Driving to my former stylist is not an option :(.

December 14, 2018 / 7:45 am

I didn’t post the video anywhere, sorry. You could show them the photo of the back of my hair which might be a good visual…although it didn’t help me;(

20. Penny
    December 13, 2018 / 7:29 am

Yes, Jennifer, I will never forget the smell of the Toni perms my mother gave me in attempts to give my fine hair some body! My hair and haircut is very similar to yours. For me, It’s worth the extra cost and 1+ hour drive out of my small town to go to a Gene Juarez salon where my young haircutter seems to know how to give me a cut that makes me feel good about being 62. You look amazing!!!

December 14, 2018 / 7:47 am

Thanks, Penny, I hope to get this shape back after some growing time. So glad you’ve found someone who can style it for you. It’s worth the drive!

21. Anon
    December 13, 2018 / 7:31 am

Well, at least I’m not the only one with stylist frustration!

The latest thing after years of going to the same stylist? She suddenly cut my hair about 1/4″ long at the crown. This led it to stick straight up for several months until it regrew. I have no idea why she did this, because I would have said no. Maybe the cut was taking too long?

Now that is sorted, so she cut my bangs crooked. Always something lately.

December 14, 2018 / 7:48 am

Sounds like it’s time for a new stylist!

22. Lily
    December 13, 2018 / 7:39 am

I have a theory that stylists create styles the exact opposite of what they themselves have. Hence Christina, with her gorgeous curls, loves blow drying me sleek and straight. Everytime. Nothing like the pictures I show her. Nothing can be done about it. We’ve been friends since our children were born. -Lily

December 14, 2018 / 7:49 am

At least it’s just how she blows it out. You can fix that part at home;)

23. December 13, 2018 / 8:16 am

My hair is thick (not as thick as it used to be though – thanks menopause!) and curly, but very fine. It has to stay short because the weight of it will make it flat and I have to have some height on top! Thank goodness for hair products! BTW Jennifer – I always think your hair looks great!

December 14, 2018 / 7:52 am

Hair products to the rescue, Barbara!

24. Valorie
    December 13, 2018 / 8:57 am

Hi Jennifer. Am I correct that you’re living in the Sacramento-ish area? If so, my aunt has a stylist in Woodland that she’s gone to for years that she swears by and she also has fine, thin hair that’s a little below chin length and always looks good. Let me know if you’d like the stylists contact info and I’ll get it from my aunt

December 14, 2018 / 7:55 am

Hi Valorie. I am going to stick with my gal for now but will keep your suggestion in mind and may ask for her name later. Thanks!

25. Laurie
    December 13, 2018 / 9:47 am

I’m currently experiencing exactly what you’re talking about Jennifer! I think it’s a new trend in haircutting :/
    My current cut looks like your first picture and resulted in all of the body being taken out of my hair. My hair is thin only in the front but now my entire head of hair feels thinner than ever after this cut. In the 4th picture down of you, your hair looks beautiful – very full in the back. Is this the front of your old hair or new haircut?

December 14, 2018 / 7:58 am

These are my old haircuts before we moved. With fine hair, every hair counts and I wish stylists would be more careful. I’m sorry you’re struggling with this Laurie. It sounds like you need a new stylist.

26. Debbie
    December 13, 2018 / 9:55 am

I can relate. I’ve been driving an hour each way for the last few years to get to my old stylist, in very heavy traffic. So I am going to try someone here locally. Yesterday was my last appointment with my stylist, she gave me the formula she uses for my hair color and when I got home I took a few selfies so I can show the new person how my hair looks right after I get it done. My hair is a simple below chin-length bob but I can’t do layering, it just makes my fine hair look thinner. I’m not good at blow-drying. I am probably one of the few people who still uses hot rollers, it gives my very straight hair the body it needs. Hair is so important, if its not right, nothings right.

December 14, 2018 / 8:03 am

Good luck Debbie. I hope your new stylist can copy what you have. Non-layered cuts are usually easier for them to get right.

27. December 13, 2018 / 10:05 am

The blu capelet or shawl in the first photo is a fabulous color, who makes it please? Your hair always looks great in your photos but I hear your pain!

December 14, 2018 / 8:06 am

It’s several years old Deanne from a company in England called Catherine Robinson Cashmere. I’m not sure they still make this color but you could google them.

28. Debbie
    December 13, 2018 / 12:34 pm

You don’t feel good if your hair doesn’t look good. I moved 12 hours away from my stylist so I had to get my new one trained right. It took me four years but I finally got her cutting my hair exactly like I like it. We live in a small town and I reall did not have many other options.
    Your hair looks great and I would definitely drive two hour shift to keep it the way I wanted it.

December 14, 2018 / 8:10 am

I wish I’d been able to get through to this local gal, but honestly, she’s just not that talented. Good for you Debbie!

29. Catherine
    December 13, 2018 / 12:58 pm

we have very similar hair and by your description exactly the same cut. I have moved quite a bit and the. Last time my stylist offered to be on call for the new stylist. It worked! I would drive to get a good cut but that last move was 4 hours each way and I couldn’t do that!

December 14, 2018 / 8:13 am

Four hours would be pushing it for me too, Catherine.

30. Roxanne
    December 13, 2018 / 1:45 pm

My mother and I were looking at some of my childhood pictures when I asked her why my bangs were soooo short. She said she had given me a Tonette perm and burned my hair off! “Tonette, with the younger woman in mind”. If you look on YouTube, there are some cute commercials for Tonette perms! Luckily, my hair grew back but it’s still stick straight and baby fine.

December 14, 2018 / 8:18 am

Sorry to say, I’ve had that same disaster. My mom also used to cut my hair and the bangs were always crooked and miles too short. Luckily it grows but some of my pictures are hilarious.

31. Cheryl Ann
    December 13, 2018 / 2:45 pm

Love your hairstyle, Jennifer! Merry Christmas!

December 14, 2018 / 8:18 am

Thanks Cheryl Ann, I can’t wait until it’s back

32. December 13, 2018 / 3:01 pm

Your hair always looks pretty to me. Even though you have mentioned hair thinning, I never thought that when I see your hairstyles.

Ten months ago I went to a new to me hair stylist. I showed her a photograph of myself with a past haircut/style that I really liked. It was a long bob with bangs. I pointed out to her that in the photo it was “very slightly stacked in the back” (those were the exact words I said) and I would like it to be that way again.

She seemed nice enough, but I don’t know what in the world she was thinking. When my haircut was finished and I was handed the mirror to see the back of it. I was speechless. It looked terrifying. The length of the top “stacking” was only about two inches long, and it was a thick layer in my thin hair, right on the back of head.It got worse from there. It was absolutely nothing like the photograph I showed her. It looked like she thought I said for her to stack it to look like I’m on crack. Oh, it was horrible, for months, and months, and months. I think my knee replacement surgery and recovery slowed the regrowth of my hair, though I also think there may be a Murphy’s-type law somewhere that says when you get a really, really bad haircut your hair will grow more slowly than it ever did before. It finally grew out enough to have it cut just a couple of weeks ago. I told the new hairdresser (at a different salon) to just give me a plain, one length, almost to the shoulder cut. There is still a bit of difference in the length in the back from the previous hack job, but this hair stylist did an excellent job of making it look good. I am so thankful to have my hair looking normal again.

I don’t understand why it seems like some stylists just refuse to try and do the cut we show them from a photograph of our hair in a style that we liked. Maybe they are just trying to be creative. If they are, I would appreciate them saving their creativity for their own hair.

December 14, 2018 / 8:23 am

Ouch! That’s so upsetting. I think many stylists just have no talent. They get minimal training and have at it. I also think they don’t listen and that’s a lack of respect in my opinion. I’m glad it’s looking better now for you. Bad hair really hits our confidence hard.

33. Patti Cullen
    December 13, 2018 / 3:41 pm

Yes, I have medium length blond curly hair which I love for the most part and is what I am known for. It is low maintenance and doesn’t take long to style with a diffuser. I do have quite a collection of hair products though. Always in search of the perfect product or cocktail of products. My hair seems to reject it if I use the same product cocktail two days in a row. Looks great day 1…different story day 2. Hence, my collection of products. I have a stylist who I have been going to for more than 10 years who has curly hair too and she is fast. Highlights, haircut and style in 1.5 hours to 2 hours max. Life is good in the tresses department.

December 14, 2018 / 8:25 am

You are so lucky! My old stylist has hair just like me which I think makes a big difference. She knows what it will and won’t do.

34. Rose
    December 13, 2018 / 5:09 pm

Hi there

I can really relate to this blog. I had those perms – ugh. Then when I was living in Toronto in my 20s I went to a salon and wanted a ‘light’ perm – oh my goodness I ended up with what was referred to as an afro. After the initial shock I went back to the salon to try to get it fixed. The stylist couldn’t understand that I wasn’t happy – so I said to her – would you go out on the street looking like this. NO.

Even now I’m still trying to get some consistency with my hair style. It had been turning to hit and miss the past year at the same salon. My stylist went on maternity leave. I tried other stylists there – inconsistent. Recently I tried a new salon. Hopefully it will work out there

Your regular stylist does a fantastic job – worth the drive or as one reader said go directly after getting it done to the new stylist and say this is what I want done.

December 14, 2018 / 8:27 am

I had a body wave like that one time which was horrific. They decided to chemically straighten it and most of it fell out. That was not a good year.

35. Holley
    December 13, 2018 / 5:14 pm

Obviously, you struck a chord with many of us. I’ve followed my stylist everywhere & thus now take a ferryboat to Whidbey Island! It is worth it: the extra time you save not fighting your hair everyday! Less stress for you everyday! I had been keeping my straight hair short & layered for years, but 1 1/2 yrs ago I let it grow out & was shocked to find it was now CURLY. The ONLY pleasant surprise of getting older! Was so surprised to discover that the shape of your follicles can change with age. I love your hair & think you need to show your cut to more local stylists – meanwhile keep commuting!

December 14, 2018 / 8:29 am

Lucky you, curly! That would be such a fun discovery after a lifetime of poker straight hair. You do live in a gorgeous part of the country. I love taking those ferries.

36. Cathy
    December 13, 2018 / 6:35 pm

A stylist who listens and can style fine hair is worth the trip! I’ve had baby fine straight hair my whole life and now that it’s gray its fine with a wave. Go figure, I wore my hair in a layered bob but I tried a short pixie and love it. It’s neat, tidy and little bit sassy in our humid climate here in Georgia. Our hair like makeup and attire are important to our confidence and joy.

December 14, 2018 / 8:30 am

You’re so right Cathy. Our hair can make or break our confidence.

37. Mary
    December 14, 2018 / 8:35 am

I drive 50 miles each way to my stylist in Eugene, Oregon and have for 15 years. She knows me and my hair. I’d rather find a new gynaecologist than a new stylist.
    She once mentioned to me she has a client who flys in from Alaska every 10 weeks!

December 14, 2018 / 2:27 pm

She sounds pretty amazing. I feel in good company traveling to see my stylist. It’s a long day on the road but so worth it.

38. AR
    December 14, 2018 / 4:58 pm

I met many, many lovely hairstylists when we moved to the Pacific Northwest nine years ago. Not one of them was able to cut my hair, so now I travel to the Sassoon Salon in Seattle to get my haircut. Happy, happy happy.

December 14, 2018 / 6:24 pm

That sounds like a great plan!!

39. December 19, 2018 / 4:27 pm

YOu’re right. You can show stylists photos up the kazoo and it’s till i,possible for them to get it right. It’s like me trying to paint like Money. Not gonna happen. I think it’s worth the drive to go back to the stylist who cut it the way you liked it. Make a lovely day of it.

December 20, 2018 / 7:01 am

So true. They seem to have an agenda all their own.