How to Add Velvet to your Casual Style

How to Add Velvet to your Casual Style

Happy Wednesday ladies. Did you ever find a fabric that’s so delicious you wish you could wear it all the time? I’m psyched to have found one in an accessory … which means I can wear it with most everything.Jennifer connolly of a well styled life wearing velvet cape over black jeans and chambray shirt

Today I’m sharing one of the most beautiful scarves in Artful Home’s scarf and wrap collection…IMHO. I don’t gush here often but I’m nuts over this scarf.jennifer connolly of a well styled life styling kevin obrien velvet cape with black jeans and chambray shirt

My lifestyle is pretty casual but I don’t let that stop me from wearing my nice things. Saving our best for later pretty much guarantees they don’t get worn often. I say, wear your best stuff now. And that means velvet! Squeeze all the enjoyment you can out of them before the moths, time or moving takes them away…yes I lost some things in my last move 🙁style blogger jennifer connolly of a well styled life dressing down denim with a velvet cape

Today I’m styling this amazing burnout velvet cape over a chambray shirt, black jeans and black booties. I’ll also wear it over dressier looks but when I opened the box, it got popped over what I was wearing and worn that day!jennifer connolly of a well styled life in blue burnout velvet cape from artful home To be honest, the photo on the Artful Home website doesn’t do this beauty justice. I knew it was pretty but wowza..this is beyond pretty. Even Mr. Well Styled said how gorgeous it is and he never, ever comments about fashion.jennifer connolly of a well styled life wearing blue burnout velvet cape over denim

jennifer connolly of a well styled life wearing double denim with velvet cape from artful home

This Velvet Capelet is designed and made in the US by Kevin O’Brien. It’s available in 10 colors in several different patterns. His special hand painting technique brings his velvets to life. jennifer connolly from a well styled life wearing blue velvet burnout cape with leopard print pattern

I love all blues, but combine this handpainted color, burnout pattern which resembles an animal print with shimmering velvet and you have a stunning work of art. This is an investment piece for sure, but you’ll wear it forever. I have scarves that are over 40 years old and they never lose their charm.jennifer connolly of a well styled life wearing blue velvet cape over chambray shirt

The beauty and workmanship of this cape/scarf can’t be mass produced which makes it art to wear and a collectible to pass down. style blogger jennifer connolly from a well styled life wearing velvet cape over chambray shirt and black jeans

My favorite way to wear it is just hanging like a looped scarf. It’s also short enough to not get in the way when worn as a cape.

Are you saving your best things or incorporating them into your casual looks?

Thanks for reading ladies and supporting the brands that allow me to bring you new things.

A big thank you to Artful Home for collaborating on this post. I was compensated but all opinions are my own.

November 28, 2018 / 6:27 am

Thanks Paulette

1. Sondra
    November 28, 2018 / 5:20 am

Beautiful scarf!!!

November 28, 2018 / 6:28 am

It’s so gorgeous in person!

2. Téa
    November 28, 2018 / 6:29 am

Love the scarf! Jennifer, what belt are you wearing, please??

November 28, 2018 / 9:11 am

This is one of my favorite stretchy belts that prevent jeans from gapping or poking out in front. You can find this one here

3. Mollie M.
    November 28, 2018 / 7:17 am

Such s gorgeous scarf Jennifer, I can see wearing it many ways and it looks special. Yes, I have started wearing my special clothes, especially sweaters. I realized that they were not being worn enough. I now wear them more often and get compliments on what I am wearing. It is true, you do feel good and cofident when knowing that you look good.

November 28, 2018 / 9:13 am

I always feel better when I know I look nice. Wearing our beautiful things really helps too!

4. November 28, 2018 / 9:42 am

This caplet is GORGEOUS! I love wearable art pieces and wish I could afford this piece. Guess I’ll have to save my pennies. Is the belt you’re wearing the same one you wrote a post about a few months ago that you advised wearing to smooth out the front of pants under a tunic top? I’ve been wishing I’d gotten one.

November 28, 2018 / 12:07 pm

This is a different one which I actually like better! It’s got an ok buckle I don’t mind seeing. You can find it here https://amzn.to/2DP2v3K

• November 29, 2018 / 12:19 pm

Just ordered it. Thanks!!

5. November 28, 2018 / 5:51 pm

What a gorgeous accessory! That color is fabulous on you.

6. November 28, 2018 / 5:59 pm

I like the “wear your best stuff now” philosophy and I’ve been trying to put it into practice more often.

November 28, 2018 / 7:12 pm

I love doing it too Elaine. We deserve it.

November 28, 2018 / 8:25 pm

Im trying to haul out the “good” stuff more often so I appreciate your ideas on styling those things otherwise I might never get around to wearing them. The challenge is my workplace isn’t that flexible and weekends are pretty casual. Like you though, I like to make the effort to look and feel my best and enjoy dressing well. Love velvet, cashmere and other soft luxurious fabrics especially in jewel tones.

November 29, 2018 / 6:56 am

My life is casual too, so that’s why I’m working them into jean outfits and flat shoes. I’ll continue to to share ideas so we’re both encouraged Janet.

8. Mimi
    November 30, 2018 / 9:21 am

Hi,
    What a beautiful wrap/scarf !! Like others, I am curious about the belt you’re wearing and how it is
    all black in the pictures, yet at Amazon it has a silver closure. Have you painted the silver closure? Or touched up the pictures so there’s no silver showing?

November 30, 2018 / 3:15 pm

My closure is silver too. I’m not sure why it looks black in my pictures, but it is silver

December 1, 2018 / 3:24 am

The cape is stunning & I love the color!
    I also love your sunglasses! Could you share where to purchase them? Thanks!

December 1, 2018 / 7:54 am

My sunglasses are polarized RayBans. They are a few years old but I got mine here. You can customize the frame color and lens color on many of their glasses.