Historic Tokyo Station Hotel

Historic Tokyo Station Hotel

Our first two nights in Japan were spent at the Tokyo Station Hotel which is right at the train station. I assumed it would be a drab, noisy spot that was simply convenient. Imagine my surprise to discover it is a jewel of a place with impeccable service and luxurious accommodations.

The Tokyo Station Hotel opened its doors in 1914 and sits atop the busiest train station in Japan. The Shinkansen (bullet train), Narita Express and local Tokyo trains all converge at this station.

Atrium in the train station

The Tokyo train station consists of three floors. There are 20 tracks on the ground floor and another four tracks on each of each of the lower two levels. Finding the right train, heading where you want to go, is nothing short of exhausting.

We were welcomed at the hotel after a long travel day to incredible attentiveness – bowing graciously, the staff knew who we were, and welcomed us like royalty.

Our room was a luxurious oasis after a long day of travel. I was so exhausted I could have slept standing up but luckily the beds are pillow soft with down comforters and feather pillows.  The room came equipped with everything you’d expect but also included sleeping shirts, slippers, and kimonos.I’ve stayed in many hotels but never one with the awesome water pressure of this place!

The next morning we ate in the atrium. It’s an amazing experience offering everything one could want to eat for breakfast, and then some. I’ll admit I didn’t recognize many things offered but they were all beautifully displayed, graciously served and many were organic.

The concierge was invaluable and amazingly helpful. They went so far out of their way to make our experience in Tokyo an effortless delight,  that we wished we could take Miyuko with us to our next location.

When we needed a cab, she walked us out, spoke firmly to the cabbie and made sure he knew exactly where to take us. Then she stood waving to us as the cab pulled away.

Before we arrived she arranged two amazing activities for us to explore. The first was the Team Lab Planets exhibition where your body becomes totally immersed in a massive art space.

The walls are all mirrored and the shin-level water is saturated with holographic koi swimming around your ankles.

Mirrored walls, ceiling, and floor with curtains of brightly colored strobe lights which you navigate as through a maze. On the right is a mirrored room filled with enormous white rubber balls that you push and move through.

The second evening Miyuko arranged reservations for us at Suigian. It’s the first restaurant of its kind in Tokyo where you can enjoy authentic traditional performing arts while savoring state of the art Edo sushi, sake, tea and sweets.

The day we left for Kyoto,  the porter (wearing white gloves) pulled all of our luggage through the many layers and sections of Tokyo station to the exact platform we needed. He waited with us to ensure we boarded the correct car then waved to us through the window when he saw us in our proper seats.

I’m not going to do a review of Japanese toilets but let me just say that I want one. They all have your standard bidet properties and flush options but that’s just the beginning. The one at the Tokyo Station Hotel has a lid that opens automatically when you enter the room. The seat is heated, then it flushes itself and closes the lid as you leave the room…enough said about toilets except for the one we had at a spa which played waterfall sounds to maintain your privacy;)

The service at the Tokyo Station Hotel is impeccable and we couldn’t have been happier. It’s perfectly located for a stay in Tokyo and you’ll feel pampered and right at home as we did.

This is not a sponsored post and all opinions are my own. My journey as a travel blogger continues with hopes of securing new luggage (from this century) and enjoying new adventures.

1. Sandy
    October 31, 2018 / 4:17 am

Wow! Just wow!!!

2. Angela
    October 31, 2018 / 4:37 am

I loved this post about the Tokyo Station Hotel! Thank you.

3. Dorothy
    October 31, 2018 / 4:40 am

Amazing! What a fabulous hotel. Those memories will be etched in your mind forever

4. Lauryn
    October 31, 2018 / 4:41 am

Wonderful travel log! A suggestion for new luggage – a backpack and packing cubes. We spent 3 weeks in Italy using Osprey backpacks, 40 litres. Some have wheels, shoulder, hip and zip up covers to secure the back straps when you use the shoulder strap. A lifesaver when you are tired and trying to find your platform in train stations. Thank you for your posts. I read them everyday!
    Safe journeys from a over 60 in 🇨🇦 Canada!

October 31, 2018 / 3:50 pm

My daughter is using a backpack and a roller bag. She loves that the backpack keeps her hands free. I agree that’s a great benefit so I will need to look into one. I’ve never used packing cubes before but they seem like a very good idea too, Thanks, Lauryn. Everything needs wheels for me these days so I definitely need a luggage upgrade.

• Barbara Shapas
        October 31, 2018 / 5:27 pm

Jennifer, do try the packing cubes; I’ve used them for about 10 years and they’re wonderful! Socks, underwear, pjs, scarves, gloves are easily found and not scattered all over. And then I use larger cubes for my tops and some non-wrinkle pants/slacks. The other slacks get folded into the bottom of my suitcase in thirds (at about the crotch and knee levels), where wrinkles normally appear after you’ve been wearing these garments for more than 10 minutes. No need for ironing while traveling! Shoe bags are great for keeping dirty shoes away from the rest of your clothes, plus then I have a place inside my shoes to tuck gifts on the return trip. Thanks for sharing your trip, and I hope Vanessa is feeling better.

October 31, 2018 / 9:36 pm

Thanks so much Barb! These sound like a great idea. I miss seeing you.

5. October 31, 2018 / 5:19 am

Great review, Jennifer. This was an awesome experience!!

6. cynthia dailey
    October 31, 2018 / 5:34 am

This is wonderful. Can you tell us more about the food you ate.

7. Rita
    October 31, 2018 / 5:40 am

Really enjoying reading about yiur adventures and seeing the photos! Thanks so much for sharing all of this it’s us!

8. Sheila in Garden City, SC
    October 31, 2018 / 6:04 am

Jennifer, this was a great post about an even greater experience. What a wonderful trip you’ve had! I’ve enjoyed every post. A southern admirer that loves to travel, Sheila

October 31, 2018 / 10:29 pm

Put this on your list Sheila! It’s amazing. I hope we can go back.

9. Beth M.
    October 31, 2018 / 6:14 am

What a fun trip you’re having! Everything in this post looks so cool! Keep having a blast!

October 31, 2018 / 10:26 pm

It’s amaxingly cool! We’re living it.

10. Barbara
    October 31, 2018 / 6:15 am

I have enjoyed your posts! We have been traveling in Europe a lot this past year, and have the Away bags. I highly recommend them! They come with a lifetime guarantee and wonderful customer service.

October 31, 2018 / 10:25 pm

Thank you Barbara, they are on my radar for next time!

October 31, 2018 / 6:29 am

You are having an amazing trip! I loved the photos and captions!

12. Patricia
    October 31, 2018 / 7:31 am

Jennifer, this hotel sounds amazing – definitely not your typical railway hotel! I would love it if you would do a post listing all the places you stayed, and as someone requested above, how you got on with the food.

October 31, 2018 / 10:24 pm

That sounds like a great idea. Stay tuned!

13. Summer
    October 31, 2018 / 7:39 am

Wonderful description of your stay in Tokyo and fabulous hotel. I want one of those toilets, too!

14. Judy
    October 31, 2018 / 8:16 am

Jennifer, I never had the interest to visit Japan but after reading your posts I am greatly inspired. Maybe you should have a travel blog too. Great job!
    Judy in az.

October 31, 2018 / 10:21 pm

Thank you Judy! That’s a fun idea. I could travel a lot:)

15. Anon
    October 31, 2018 / 8:37 am

I found it necessary to go up to street level to get my bearings, then re-enter those train stations. My favorite solution when navigating was to find a teenager to ask for help. I think they were a little intimidated, but were so kind and helpful.

Japanese toilets in the big cities are technological wonders! When you go out to rural areas they are a different story. Always interesting, that’s for sure.

The interactive experience looks like a lot of fun.

October 31, 2018 / 10:19 pm

My daughter used a website that gave her updated location directions as we moved from train to train.

October 31, 2018 / 8:38 am

Can you be my travel agent?😉 You’ve picked the most interesting places to stay and explore. Your daughter has a gift.

October 31, 2018 / 10:18 pm

She is a gem! I am so blessed

17. Julie Anne
    October 31, 2018 / 8:46 am

This is a pleasure experiencing your vacation.

What is the case you’re carrying your phone in? I can’t understand tucking a very expensive item in my back pocket.

October 31, 2018 / 10:17 pm

Since I’m mostly wearing Eileen Fisher pants which have no back pockets, I’m keeling my phone in my cross body bag. Easy to reach and secure.

18. Susan Gowan
    October 31, 2018 / 9:27 am

Great tip on the Tokyo Train station. So many countries are honouring the train station with fabulous restaurants, kiosks and little boutiques. Not a surprise that Japan would take it a step farther. Great travel blog, Jennifwr!

October 31, 2018 / 10:16 pm

Fabulous hotel. You’d love it. Japan does most things with excellence. I love it here!

19. Shirley
    October 31, 2018 / 10:30 am

Loved your trip! The station hotel sounds fantastic….would love to finance a trip for my granddaughters. Would you post give an idea of hotel expense and number of days you would recommend.
    Such a great trip to share with your daughter.

October 31, 2018 / 10:15 pm

How fun that would be. I recommend at least a week. We booked everything through Expedia which is easy to use and has the best prices.

20. Jill
    October 31, 2018 / 10:58 am

Please will you address the every vexing question of tipping in Japan. How much and to whom? Every country is different as you know. Thank you. Did you change your money at the airport or what?

• October 31, 2018 / 12:23 pm

Tipping is not customary in Japan. The fantastic service that Jennifer described in this post is commonplace with no tip expected.

• Barbara
      October 31, 2018 / 5:11 pm

When I travel internationally, I always go to my local bank and order the currency of the country I’m traveling to. I’ve found that you get much better exchange rates there. If you have foreign currency left over when you return, the bank will again turn the paper money (not the coins) into US dollars.

October 31, 2018 / 10:03 pm

There is no tipping in Japan which makes it simpler. I used my Credit Card almost everywhere and made 2 small withdrawals from the ATM here.

21. October 31, 2018 / 12:21 pm

Wow! I can’t believe that I’ve been through that station more than once and didn’t realize that there was such a lovely hotel overhead!

As for the toilets, aren’t they amazing? On the other hand, there are also squat toilets, or squatty potties as we called them, in many locations in Japan. We always felt blessed when we found the high tech ones!

October 31, 2018 / 10:02 pm

The high tech ones are my favorite;)

22. Suz
    October 31, 2018 / 2:01 pm

I am really enjoying these posts about your adventures in Japan. It sure seems like an amazing trip. It’s on our list but maybe I need to move it up a bit! Thanks for sharing!
    Suz from Vancouver

October 31, 2018 / 3:51 pm

You will love it Suz! I would like to come back because there’s so much we didn’t get to see.

23. November 2, 2018 / 5:09 am

What a lovely spot. Putting it on my must visit list.