Slimming Tuxedo Jeans for Fall

Slimming Tuxedo Jeans for Fall

My post on Monday showed my favorite (and so far only) pair of tuxedo jeans which I am loving. They won’t be my last pair because I’ve discovered that they’re very visually slimming.

I wasn’t sure how I felt about the trend when I first started seeing them last year. They vaguely reminded me of what happened when I’d let pants out along the side seam and discovered the newly exposed fabric was darker than the rest of the pants. An unattractive reminder that my pants got too tight:)

Jennifer Connolly of A Well Styled Life modeling tuxedo jeans

The trend continues this fall and has branched into stripes of all colors and pants in all shapes.

The more I wore mine the more I realized they create the optical illusion of slimming my silhouette. The effect is similar to wearing an open jacket or sweater over a column of color. The sides are obscured so your eye focuses on the slimmer center which shows.

With tuxedo jeans, the darker (or lighter) sides fade visually so your eye focuses on the center portion and your entire shape looks slimmer.

This fall they are showing up with wide or narrow, double or single stripes and every color imaginable. They are available in velvet, denim, and wool.

Multicolored and red are very popular as are white and metallic stripes. The leg shape varies from skinny to wide and cropped so every option is available.

TUXEDO TYPE JEANS

So what do you think?
Have you tried tuxedo jeans or would you?
Thanks for reading ladies and have a great day!
Affiliate jeans within this post may generate income for AWSL

1. Sondra
    September 26, 2018 / 3:45 am

I am not a fan of the tuxedo pant. I have not seen the ‘slimming’ effect that you mentioned on anyone I’ve seen them on……all I see are the stripes!! This is one fad or trend I will not jump on board to try but this is just my personal opinion. I say…go for it if you can pull it off!

• Lily
      September 26, 2018 / 7:47 am

My eye goes right to the stripe, also. Pass.

2. Lee
    September 26, 2018 / 4:49 am

Hi Jennifer. I was not aware of this trend but when I saw your jeans this week I loved them and wondered where you purchased them. They look so great on you. Definitely something I want.

September 26, 2018 / 9:30 am

There are some fun versions around at all price points Lee. Have fun!

3. September 26, 2018 / 4:53 am

Just invested in two pair, one straight leg chino in green with a velvety stripe from Anthropologie, and the other from Ann Taylor, navy blue and so fair I like them. I opted for 29 in Anthropologie, but could have gone 28…run a bit large.
    Neither are traditional jeans, so may try to find one…..
    Thanks for sharing your “finds”!

September 26, 2018 / 9:31 am

I tried on those green chinos and loved them too! I’ll have to check out the AT site for blue ones. It’s a fun trend

4. Deede
    September 26, 2018 / 4:56 am

I love the stripe of the tuxedo pants…I could see a starched white shirt buttoned up …Great choice..THX for sharing…

September 26, 2018 / 9:32 am

They would look great with a classic white shirt! Maybe some leopard flats too

• Jackie
        September 26, 2018 / 12:57 pm

Everything looks better with leopard flats 🙂

September 26, 2018 / 4:24 pm

I have to agree about the leopard flats Jackie:)

5. Margot
    September 26, 2018 / 5:22 am

Not a fan of the tuxedo stripe. I don’t see them as slimming. They grab my attention – and that’s an area I would rather not emphasize. Who knows though, maybe one day I will see that perfect pair. Paulette’s pants sound the way I would go if I did find that pair – a solid with the stripe being a change in texture rather than color.

September 26, 2018 / 9:34 am

I Love how fashion details allow us to focus the eye on where we want it!

6. September 26, 2018 / 6:41 am

Hi Jen,
    I actually really like the tuxedo stripe and I do think they can be slimming. The ones with the red and blue stripes are my favorite and I really like your’s too! I actually saw women wearing them all over Europe this summer so I bought a pair at Zara for my mom and myself and we both really love them which doesn’t happen often. They are fun and more unique than just a normal pair of jeans. Nice post!!

xoDale

September 26, 2018 / 9:35 am

Hi Dale! I hadn’t thought of Zara but they always had fun trends to try at an affordable price!! Xx

7. Jan
    September 26, 2018 / 6:42 am

I commented on Monday with a question about the pants. I love them. I hope to find a pair with a smooth waistband.

September 26, 2018 / 9:27 am

Pull on ones would be fantastic! I’ll keep my eye out for them. Very comfy ones

8. Kathy
    September 26, 2018 / 6:52 am

I like the look of the tuxedo jean. However, I’m afraid a contrasting stripe would limit my choice of top. I’d like to see how they can be styled.

• Cathy J Eissler
      September 26, 2018 / 1:15 pm

My thought as well!

September 26, 2018 / 6:54 am

Good sewing project, take a pair of jeans and sew a stripe down the side seam. I have a curvy shaped leg and would prefer a straight trouser pant probably so the stripe would be straight. So I may pass on the jeans style.

10. September 26, 2018 / 7:20 am

They are very cute, and I can see how they would be slimming. However the jury is still out for me since I tend to buy classic jeans and wear them for years (I have a straight leg pair that is over 12 years old). I’m wondering how long this trend will last? I can always use a slimming pair of pants, so I will probably jump on the train at some point if the trend continues.

September 26, 2018 / 9:23 am

Trends are usually good for 5-7 years depending on how popular it is. I hear you about keeping my jeans for years. I bought a split front hem pair that felt dated almost immediately so got donated.

• Joanna
      September 26, 2018 / 7:16 pm

Cyndi, buy an inexpensive pair of jeans with the stripe. That way you get to play with the trend without sacrificing too much money.

11. Marsheila
    September 26, 2018 / 8:09 am

Hi, I too have branched out and tried the Tuxedo jean. I ordered mine from Martha Stewart on QVC. They are soft and stretchy and feel wonderful on. I enjoy wearing something a little different. The different shades of denim for me only, though. I feel that way I can wear anything on top and get more use from them.

September 26, 2018 / 9:21 am

Great point about the shades of denim. I think that’s why mine feel so versatile.

September 26, 2018 / 8:30 am

Ah ha! I wondered why you didn’t respond to my question when I asked about the pants. I realized you were styling the top and it was a sponsored post. I found a pair at Reitmans. I think they can be slimming. Opt for a straight leg or bootcut, versus skinny, for that illusion.

September 26, 2018 / 9:20 am

I thought I did answer you!! Sorry. Mine are long gone. Glad you found some.

13. Alice
    September 26, 2018 / 8:48 am

The stripe reminds me of athletic pants not tuxedos. As my legs are not my best feature I will probably pass.

September 26, 2018 / 9:19 am

They do have that look too

14. Patsy
    September 26, 2018 / 11:05 am

I have been trying to make my mind up about the striped pant for the last two years. When I first saw them in stores I didn’t think tuxedo, but running pants because I only saw the type of pant with the highly contrasting color strip. I like the pair of jeans you have on wear the stripe is a darker color of denim. I also like the way the side strip looks on a regular tuxedo when it is the same color, but a different textured fabric. I think it makes the leg look thinner and longer. I’m going to have to try some on. I like to have a few trendy pieces each season. Something to add to the staples I already own that would make them look updated. This might be just the ticket.

September 26, 2018 / 4:26 pm

I agree about a touch of trend Patsy. If I wear too much trend and I feel like a fashion victim but a little is perfect.

September 26, 2018 / 7:11 pm

I am intrigued! I’ll look for them.

16. Kay
    September 27, 2018 / 12:01 pm

This is another trend I’ll pass on. I’ve been around long enough to see just about every trend come and go. I have come to realize that if I didn’t like it on the last go-around, I’m not going to like it now. Of course, I never was one for being “trendy.” Current case in point: half-tucked shirts. Really, why?

September 28, 2018 / 2:25 am

Half-tucks allow you to give some waist definition to otherwise boxy tops which could make your figure look shapeless. It’s an alternative to the full tuck which many women no longer have the waistline to feel comfortable with.

• Kay
        September 28, 2018 / 10:54 am

I can hear my mother saying, “Tuck your shirt in.”

September 28, 2018 / 2:57 pm