Adding a Spot of Glamour to Your Look

Adding a Spot of Glamour to Your Look

I’m not overly fond of wearing prints but I am a huge fan of animal print. Zebra, Cheetah and Leopard, I love them all. They add a touch of glamour and attitude to whatever they’re paired with and make outfits zing.

I use animal print as a neutral in my wardrobe but most women aren’t neutral about wearing it. They either love it or hate it. Some layer it with gusto or dole it out one piece at a time. I’m in the latter category and let one piece make the statement.Blue Cheetah Print blouse on Jennifer Connolly of A Well Styled Life

Cheetah print is equally spaced, solid dots on a solid background. Leopard print has irregularly shaped spots that circle together to form rosettes. Most tend to be in warm colors so I consider myself lucky to find Leopard print in a cool tone and snap them up when I find them.Pink Cheetah Eileen Fisher scarf on A Well Styled Life

Most of my animal print accessories and garments are Cheetah print because they’re easier to locate in cool tones which flatter my complexion.

I had a peek through my fall and winter accessories last weekend and decided I want to add a few more animal prints to my life.

These Cheetah flats are in a very wearable taupe color and have the increasingly on-trend pointed toe.

Pointed toes are everywhere this fall and a nice change from the chunky shoes we’ve seen for the last several years. I have a wide foot so size up for comfort and add this pad to keep my foot in place at the back of the shoe.

These Gray Leopard booties are in the mail to me:)

They combine the gently pointed toe with the hugely popular kitten heel. Kitten heels have always been in style but are having a resurgence this fall.

My favorite Leopard flats bit the dust last year so imagine my delight to find them in Gray Leopard this year? Sam Edelman gray leopard flats on A Well Styled LifeI know they will be worn to death…I should probably order two pairs but decided to order these Loafers to see if I’d like a pair of each.

Here are a few other pieces in traditional and non-traditional Leopard print colors.

I’ll continue to keep my eye out as things come into the stores. I’m a firm believer in shopping early for unique pieces because stores buy fewer of them and they often sell out. Basics and wardrobe workhorses are usually restocked throughout the season so I can add them later.

What are you wanting to add to your wardrobe this fall?

Thanks for reading ladies and have a great day!

1. Paula Moreshead
    September 11, 2018 / 5:14 am

I’ve never owned or worn anything made of animal print, partly because I’ve never been sure if it’s really “me” or not, but also because the color of more typical leopard print is most always in warm tones which I can’t wear. So, I’m interested in seeing the flats in your post that are in black and gray tones. Those I might be able to carry off!
    Thanks!

September 11, 2018 / 5:34 pm

I will be sure to share them often Paula!

2. Laurel
    September 11, 2018 / 5:24 am

I love, love, love animal prints, and the warm tones are best for me. I have quite a collection of scarves and I’m thinking I might need a sweater this fall. Like you, I only buy them when I find the perfect colors for me. Looks like some great options this year!

September 11, 2018 / 5:36 pm

There is a lot of it around this year so this is a great year to add to your collection.

September 11, 2018 / 5:37 am

I love animal prints, especially leopard. Warm tones are good for me, so the animal prints are generally flattering. I don’t go overboard, usually just 1 piece at a time, but they are fun!

September 11, 2018 / 5:36 pm

I’m most happy wearing one too but I’ve sern more worn together quite successfully.

4. Mollie M.
    September 11, 2018 / 6:57 am

I own a long leopard print top, open front, which I love . Worn over an all black top and pants looks great. This was brought up from the States from Chicos. I am looking for animal print shoes now, but not to wear with the top. I cannot wear heels anymore though. Love those booties you will be receiving!

September 11, 2018 / 5:38 pm

I may also have my cobbler shorten the heel by 1/2 an inch which makes a big difference.

September 11, 2018 / 7:45 am

I wear it in scarves and belts. I would love to find the perfect pair of comfy shoes or booties. So, the hunt continues.

6. Lynn
    September 11, 2018 / 8:56 am

I’m one of the anti animal print people. I think it’s partially because I don’t look good in warm tones, but I’ve also been lucky to spend some time in Africa and once I saw the real thing the prints looked really fake to me. I also don’t wear snakeskin prints because we once owned several snakes (thanks to having two boys who were allergic to anything with fur). It’s funny how life experiences influence what people decide to wear.

September 11, 2018 / 5:39 pm

It is interesting how our fashion tastes are formed. Lucky you to visit Africa. It’s on my bucket list!

• Lynn
        September 12, 2018 / 7:53 am

If any of your readers like ebay there are a large number of nice animal print sweaters from Chicos listed now.

September 11, 2018 / 9:30 am

I absolutely love animal prints and most are in brown leopard since I rately find them in gray tones. I need to get those booties! This year I bought a Chicos blouse and 2 pairs of earrings and a necklace in animal prints. It’s a little embarrasing how much I have! I do wear them often but not together. ????

September 11, 2018 / 5:40 pm

No need to be embarrassed;) If you love it you collect it.

8. Connie
    September 11, 2018 / 11:10 am

I have animal prints in the warm colors but especially like them when there is some black so I can tone it down a bit with slacks or a solid black top. I have one jacket that is a black and white print that I adore. I’m on my second pair of cheetah flats. I’ve never carried my faux snakeskin beige purse, which I love, but I seldom wear all solids in the warm tones. I also believe only one animal at a time! Except when my old flats matched my animal print belt… I’m still in mourning for those flats…

September 11, 2018 / 5:41 pm

I was so happy my favorites are now made in gray. I was sad to donate them, but it was time.

9. Connie
    September 11, 2018 / 11:14 am

Has anyone else seen the leopard print witch hat from Chicos? I dress as a glam witch every Halloween for my grandkids Halloween dinner. I just might get it! They would love it!

September 11, 2018 / 5:42 pm

I haven’t seen it but it sounds fun!

10. Kay
    September 11, 2018 / 12:08 pm

I think the animal prints look best on the animals.

11. September 11, 2018 / 12:54 pm

A pair of leopard print flats are on my wish list for this fall and if I found a handbag or maybe even shoes in zebra print, I’d snap them up. The zebra is the symbol of neuroendocrine cancer, the somewhat rare disease that I’ve been fighting for the past 5 years and that recently took the life of Aretha Franklin.

September 11, 2018 / 5:43 pm

Sending prayers your way Elaine! Definitely wear zebra if you find it!

12. Allison
    September 11, 2018 / 1:53 pm

I don’t understand comments like “I can’t wear leopard print the colour is too warm” I am your textbook ‘winter’ (though I loath the idea of being colour labelled) and I find most leopard reads very well with my colouring as usually the spots are black. Also leopard (and zebra) can be mixed with tons of colours ie red, fuchsia pink even turquoise and trust me you will not look like SCTV’s Edith Prickly if you keep the beast prints to just one or two pieces.(the bigger one piece is the smaller or non existent the second should be) I would have chosen the other colour option for the Sam Edelman boots as they go with black or brown and make a stronger statement but they are both very pretty! Those I would wear with black tights or black ankle pants and with no other animal print competing. So fun!!

• Anon
      September 11, 2018 / 2:11 pm

Edith Prickley is my style icon! I seriously love her look. Those glasses!

September 11, 2018 / 5:51 pm

Many women feel more confident holding strictly to their warm or cool color pallets. Personality plays a role in this decision too. I do wear warm toned leopard if I adore the piece and simply make it work! My handbag couldn’t be left at the store and I’ve never regretted that purchase.

13. September 11, 2018 / 2:32 pm

I love all the outfits you are wearing in this post. Wish I had your know how to put looks together.

September 11, 2018 / 5:33 pm

Thanks MaryAnn. I am offering a new service for my readers that you may like. Here is hereHere

14. Cynthia
    September 11, 2018 / 5:49 pm

Love those boots you have ordered! I did not wear animal print until after I was 60. Now I love it, but, like you, one item at a time.

15. Karen H.
    September 11, 2018 / 7:55 pm

Love the blue print blouse with front tie on you! And those Sam Edelman booties…so cute!

16. Bonna Jean Nichols
    September 12, 2018 / 2:42 pm

I want those jeans you have on?????? Can you link them for me please.

September 12, 2018 / 3:58 pm

Sadly the first pair is unavailable.