Dressing Room Diaries: Talbots Trunk Show

Dressing Room Diaries: Talbots Trunk Show

I don’t attend fashion shows often but have put them on my “need to do more of” list. They’re a fun way to get a look at the newest selections and get fresh ideas on ways to style things. This week I attended a Fall Trunk show at my local Talbots, complete with refreshments and a mini fashion show. They referred to their newest collection as “London Calling” with touches of British detailing which is all 25% off until Monday!

I decided dressing room diaries was in order because I was itching to try some of these things on for you and yes, several came home with me;)

I started with this classic Novelty Jean Jacket. It was one of the darlings of the show and they warned it was selling out fast. Jennifer Connolly of A Well Styled Life modeling Talbots newest collection

There was only an XS and XL on the floor so since I couldn’t get my arm down the sleeve of the XS, I grabbed the XL. They showed it styled in a myriad of ways but my favorite was over this Knit Jersey Shift Dress.

Jennifer Connolly of A Well Styled Life modeling Talbots newest collection

The Varsity stripe contrast lining at the cuffs and undercollar match the colors in the dress beautifully. This XL was only a bit too large for me so size up. They’ve made their dresses a little longer this year and they’re knee length. If you like yours shorter you could opt for the petite version, which at 5’4″, I would.

They showed several looks from the T by Talbots collection which is their most casual line. I would not call these workout clothes but uber comfy for casual days.

Jennifer Connolly of A Well Styled Life modeling T by Talbots newest collection

I must have been angling the phone strangely because I look so short in these pictures. #thingstoworkon

This striped pullover is a soft drapey jersey that I can see dressed up with dark denim, a scarf and some booties for lunch out or running errands. I paired it with these straight leg yoga pants which I’d wear for everything! They are super soft with a wide pull-on waistband. They are a classic shape that creates a clean line through the hip and thigh. I’d wear these for everything and I suppose you could even do yoga. I topped it with this great open cardigan that I can’t find to link for you… I hate when that happens!

Jennifer Connolly of A Well Styled Life modeling Talbots newest collection

These pull-on jeans seemed to be in every customer’s hands so of course, I tried them, and yup brought them home. They’ll be perfect with tunics and sweaters, tucked into boots and dressed up with a crisp white shirt and ballet flats. They have a wide no roll waistband that doesn’t roll over when you sit down (I tested them out). I topped it with this classic button down shirt in the prettiest stripe fabric.

Jennifer Connolly of A Well Styled Life modeling Talbots newest collection

ignore the dark ring around my neck, its a shadow

I copied what they’d shown in the fashion show and topped the shirt with this soft merino sweater embroiders with crowns. (London calling theme:) They showed the shirt sticking out below the sweater which looked casual and preppy. In order to duplicate the look, shown at right, I chose the shirt in regular length and the sweater in petite.

STYLE TIP- shop all fit sections of a store to get the look you want.Jennifer Connolly of A Well Styled Life modeling Talbots newest collection

This Braided Trim Tweed jacket is so pretty. The stripes have shades of burgundy, yellow and soft pink. I opted to wear it over this simple cardigan in blush pink, worn closed. I like how the necklines relate. I am wearing Merlot colored high rise jeans in the straight fit for my straight figure. The curvier version is here.Jennifer Connolly of A Well Styled Life modeling Talbots newest collection

This is the Crown Print shirt worn over the Bi-stretch mini checked pull-on pant. I was loving the gray on grey affect so tucked the shirt and topped it with this Cotton Pearl Embellished Sweater.Jennifer Connolly of A Well Styled Life modeling Talbots newest collection

Both these pants and sweater are predominantly cotton which makes them a great option for spanning the seasons. Jennifer Connolly of A Well Styled Life modeling Talbots newest collectionThen I swapped out the sweater for this Plaid Ruana. I love how the houndstooth pattern plays with the mini check. A quick removal of the tag makes this easily reversible.

STYLE TIP- Pattern mixing is easiest when colors are similar.Jennifer Connolly of A Well Styled Life modeling Talbots newest collection

These are the mid-rise slim ankle Jeans in Luna Grey. Even in this petite version, the mid-rise is plenty high on me. The curvier version here. Jennifer Connolly of A Well Styled Life modeling Talbots newest collectionI topped it with this fun Crown Print shirt and this Tweed Sequin and Pearl jacket from their RSVP collection. It’s an amazing jacket that obviously dresses down as well as up. You could wear this over a LBD or slacks to a formal occasion or every day over jeans. Black jeans would make your casual look a bit more dressy than these grey ones do.

As I look at these pictures I realize there are a few more pieces I should have brought home. I highly recommend taking selfies to give you a different view of what you’re wearing. It often gives you a better perspective.

Thanks for reading ladies and have a great day!

August 31, 2018 / 4:14 am

Wow! You struck gold this time! I love every single outfit you’re showing here. So many of these pieces can be mixed n’ matched, which is fabulous. I don’t usually shop at Talbots but I’m going to check them out.
    Thanks for showing so many great outfits!

August 31, 2018 / 9:02 pm

I think you’ll love what you see Cindy

August 31, 2018 / 4:17 am

What great finds! I especially like the denim jacket, striped shirt and reversible ruana. I never would have thought about a cardigan under a jacket but can see why it works.

August 31, 2018 / 9:03 pm

I wear a closed cardigan as a solid top often. They’re really versatile.

3. August 31, 2018 / 4:37 am

A really nice collection…for my more casual lifestyle, since retiring! And I think My body type could actually wear these outfits! I love the dress with jean jacket! I love the pull on jeans….so many possibilities! By the way, you look great in everything!

August 31, 2018 / 9:04 pm

Thank you Paulette!

4. Monique Wilson
    August 31, 2018 / 4:41 am

Amazing that someone as petite as you is wearing anXL. That seems wrong sizing on their part. What does that say for those of us that wear XL? We have to go up to Plus-size and pay more. Hmmm

You look great and thanks for sharing Talbots new line.

August 31, 2018 / 9:05 pm

That jacket was running really small. I’m
      Usually a medium

5. Sondra Koons
    August 31, 2018 / 4:45 am

I LOVE everything you showed us and would buy ALL of it IF I could afford to!! It all looked great on you and don’t know how you you resisted buying it all. Ha! I’m a Talbots girl from WAY back. Their clothes will way out last anything else, I prefer the tailored look so naturally, I gravitate to all of it. Thanks for the ‘style show’. Loving the colors for this year too!

August 31, 2018 / 9:06 pm

I’m so glad you liked it Sondra. I sure had fun doing it.

6. Margot
    August 31, 2018 / 5:06 am

I feel like Talbot’s has just not been working for me for so long BUT these looks are all so cute! And fit my casual lifestyle. J.Jill is often a good store for me but I feel like their past 3-5 collections have been work-style heavy so haven’t shopped there much recently.

August 31, 2018 / 9:08 pm

Stop by and try Talbots again. Brands don’t get every collection right so it’s smart to be flexible.

7. Sheila in Garden City, SC
    August 31, 2018 / 5:12 am

Love these classic looks. You look great, by the way!

8. Sandy Andry
    August 31, 2018 / 5:18 am

I LOVE all your looks. Thanks for the style tips.

9. Pam
    August 31, 2018 / 5:27 am

It was great to see some pieces that my Talbots doesn’t have in the store. I was interested in the tweed jacket that you paired with the burgundy jeans, but none of the stores close to me have it. So glad that you listed the colors in it and also showed it with the burgundy jeans. I think I will order it because I already bought burgundy jeans last year. I agree that I thought you looked great in it all.

August 31, 2018 / 9:12 pm

The burgundy is very rich and pretty. I am seriously thinking of addding it to my fall wardrobe.

10. Barbara
    August 31, 2018 / 5:29 am

Wow, I love everything you tried on!!! You look wonderful in these Fall styles and you gave me ideas. Thanks!!!

August 31, 2018 / 9:14 pm

I’m so glad I have you some ideas!!

11. Laurel
    August 31, 2018 / 6:10 am

Great trunk show, Jennifer. So many cute things in this collection! I’ll be trying some of them on this weekend. I love that everyone is coming out with a pull on jean. They’re so much more flattering on me without the bulk of the button and zipper.

August 31, 2018 / 9:15 pm

I’m a pull-on jean lover! So comfortable.

August 31, 2018 / 6:42 am

Love the ruana outfit on you, like the tucked in shirt. And the print dress and jacket look good also. Thanks!

13. Lily
    August 31, 2018 / 6:53 am

I always feel great in a print sheath with a casual jacket. You must own a ton of clothes!

August 31, 2018 / 9:16 pm

I don’t own a ton of clothes because I edit them twice a year and donate many things.

14. Carrie
    August 31, 2018 / 7:48 am

Loved the first outfit…..jean jacket over dress…perfect for casual Friday at work!!!! The plaid rhuana over mini check pants was also tres chic!

15. Mollie M.
    August 31, 2018 / 7:53 am

Every outfit looks great on you Jennifer. It would be difficult to know what goes home with you. Wish we had a Talbots here, we have to go into Toronto. Looking forward to wearing Fall clothes, my favourite time of the year.

August 31, 2018 / 9:17 pm

It’s my favorite time of year too!

16. Suz
    August 31, 2018 / 8:40 am

There are a lot of great outfits in this post. You look fantastic in all of them. (makes it hard to be selective and stay on budget) 🙂
    I am not sure if you do this too but I sometimes wear a simple cardigan backwards, buttons in the back. Two looks with one top!
    Suz from Vancouver

August 31, 2018 / 9:19 pm

I’ve seen that done but my shoulders are broad enough that when I put a cardigan backwards, the neckline chokes me.

17. Debbie
    August 31, 2018 / 8:47 am

I wore a lot of Talbot’s when I was still working. They are a bit pricey, but last forever. For a while they looked too frumpy, but the ones you showed here are cute. I’ve gravitated to J Jill but their latest collection is boring. I think they are trying to copy Eileen Fisher. Sadly the Talbot’s near me closed.

August 31, 2018 / 8:59 pm

It’s funny you should mention that but JJills latest collections have been looking very similar to Eileen Fisher!!

18. August 31, 2018 / 8:53 am

You put together some really classic outfits and I can’t believe you left anything in the store. I too am doing a weekly season transition blog post but am using B/W right now. So fun. Hope you’ll join me.

August 31, 2018 / 8:58 pm

It’s was so fun!!

19. August 31, 2018 / 1:14 pm

This post was a feast; loved it! We have a Talbots very close to where I live and was there just yesterday purchasing a few sale items. I have recently gotten two very pretty printed skirts, and looking for tops to go with them. I am in a very warm climate, so there is still plenty of warm weather clothes available, as well as the Fall styles coming in.

August 31, 2018 / 8:57 pm

You must really clean up on the sales! Lucky you

20. Kay
    August 31, 2018 / 2:41 pm

I don’t shop Talbot’s much. I don’t really know why, but I’m going to check out that striped shirt. I love the colors.

August 31, 2018 / 8:55 pm

It’s worth a try to see what might appeal. I get stuck in store ruts myself so like to challenge myself.

21. Karen H.
    August 31, 2018 / 6:13 pm

Thanks for the fashion show. Every outfit looks great on you, but the knit dress with denim jacket is my fave on you. The colors just pop and light up your face! Have a fun and relaxing Labor Day weekend.

August 31, 2018 / 8:54 pm

Thanks Karen, have a fabulous weekend too

22. Julia H.
    August 31, 2018 / 7:17 pm

Every outfit looks wonderful on you! Thanks for sharing and inspiring me to try new looks. Jennifer, your hair is lovely. I wish I could get the lift you’ve achieved.

August 31, 2018 / 8:53 pm

Thanks Julie. I have taken to putting a fre vercro rollers in as my hair cools off and I put my makeup on. It does give a boost.

23. August 31, 2018 / 9:05 pm

All the outfits are amazing and I like the sweater Plaid Ruana.

Thanks for sharing the beautiful collection.