How to Treat Crepey Skin

How to Treat Crepey Skin

If you’re anything like me, you’ve got or are getting some crepey skin. It’s that thin papery looking skin that resembles crepe paper. We needn’t feel singled out because everyone gets it, even the fittest among us. If you doubt me just look at the back of their elbow.

My laptop keeps trying to autocorrect crepey to creepy….it knows!

I’ve been going to the gym and yoga class to get in better shape but know that won’t do much to help with my crepey skin so I set out to learn more.

What causes crepey skin?

Unlike wrinkles which are often caused by repetitive motions, crepey skin is caused by:

• the lower production of collagen and elastin as we age.

• frequent or large weight gain and loss. Yo-yo dieting.

• loss of moisture both externally and externally.

• UV damage to our collagen from years of overexposure to the sun or tanning beds.

How can we treat crepey skin?

• If yours is severe from losing a lot of weight, surgery is your best option but comes with risks. Check with your regular doctor then see a board certified plastic surgeon.

• Radio-frequency, laser, and ultrasound treatments are available to help. Again, check with your doctor and do your research.

• Drink lots more fluids to hydrate from the inside out.

• Add weights to your exercise routine which builds muscle and helps to fill out some of the skin. Remember this can only do so much so don’t be discouraged.

• Make body lotion a twice-daily ritual. I’ve always done this so I am switching up my lotions and trying the AHA’s.

Look for highly emollient formulas which contain cocoa butter, shea butter or hyaluronic acid which draw moisture into the skin and trap it there.

Lotions with alpha hydroxy, salicylic, and/or glycolic acids have shown to increase hydration because they also exfoliate the top dead layers of the skin. AmLactin is a popular one as is Eucerin. These and readily available in most drug stores and supermarkets. If you’re like me and prefer a cruelty-free option, this Paula’s Choice Resist and Beauty Without Cruelty are quite popular. I have ordered both and will update you after a few weeks.

How are you combating crepey skin and do you have any great tips to share with us?

Thanks for reading ladies and have a great day!

Affiliate links within this post may generate income for a AWSL.

1. Cathy Goodman
    August 14, 2018 / 5:04 am

I have started wearing more 3/4 sleeve tops or layering little shrugs and light sweaters. I think this strategy will be easier in Fall.

August 14, 2018 / 7:19 am

I almost always cover my upper arms now.

2. Michele
    August 14, 2018 / 5:27 am

I use both the Paula’s Choice(my favorite skincare line) and the Eucerin lotion you mentioned above. I alternate days. I’ve also used and enjoyed the Alpha Skincare Revitalizing Body Lotion with AHA.

August 14, 2018 / 7:21 am

Good to know! I’m excited to try them. Thanks Michele

3. Marie
    August 14, 2018 / 6:02 am

I started to use a lavender salt scrub in the shower, from Trader Joe’s which moisturizes. Saw a big difference.

August 14, 2018 / 7:23 am

Exfoliation is so important! I just also got a Japanese wash cloth which is working pretty well

4. Heidi Baggett
    August 14, 2018 / 6:19 am

Hello!
    Thanks for this informative and timely post. I don’t have tips to share, but I can attest to Paula’s Choice products as I’ve used this line for several years. I would quit and try another line, but always found myself going back to her products because they work. I look forward to your update on these product lines!

August 14, 2018 / 7:25 am

Thanks Heidi. Another vote for Paula’s Choice! I’ve never used any of her products but their price point is great so I think I’ll try more of them.

5. Terry
    August 14, 2018 / 8:12 am

I’ve seen a huge difference in my skin since taking oral collagen. My favorite is Elavonne Amino Collagen C with Hyaluronic Acid, which is available on Amazon. I used to have to constantly buff and moisturize my dry, cracked heels, but now they’re smooth and soft with no treatment at all. If you try other brands of collagen, I recommend adding the vitamin C and hyaluronic acid; they work synergistically on the skin. I still have some crepey skin, but less of it.

August 14, 2018 / 9:50 am

Thanks for the tip Terry! I used to take collagen chews but my market stopped carrying it. I’ll check this out!

6. August 14, 2018 / 9:15 am

Yes, truly one of those things that comes whether we’re in excellent shape or not! I remember looking at a photo of myself last year, putting on some earrings that some of our tour guests had given me and thinking UGH – look at my lower arms – almost stripey! Not a pleasant surprise! Oh well – the rest of me looks pretty good – by this age we’ve learned how to dress to complement the good parts and diminish the less attractive 😉

August 14, 2018 / 9:53 am

Stripey describes my underarms pretty well. Luckily I can hide that most of the time but now my hands are getting it so I’m hoping these creams will help.

August 14, 2018 / 6:39 pm

Thanks for addressing this problem! I have noticed this on my lower arms and it is driving me crazy. I will try the Paula’s Choice Resist as I have had no luck with Eucerin or Clarins products. I hope to get my dry skin under control before the weather gets cold and my skin really dries out.

August 16, 2018 / 6:49 am

Mine is always worse in the cold weather too. I hope it helps