Living with Essential Oils

Living with Essential Oils

Happy Sunday ladies. Today I’m going to share my love of essential oils. I’ve used them for many years but have just added a new way to use them that is wonderful and I am hooked! There’s no question that odor affects our mood and they’re also well known for affecting our bodies. Essential oils are extracted from plants to capture its scent or “essence” so are the life force of the plant. These oils are used in aromatherapy, applied to the body and sometimes ingested… which I don’t recommend.

I’ve kept a bottle of lavender oil and lavender water on my bedside table for years. I spray my sheets and pillow each day and apply the oil to my temples.Saje Lavender spray on A Well Styled LifeI find the aroma relaxing so also use body lotion scented with lavender before I go to sleep.

On my last day in Victoria, I stopped into Escents to see what they had. Both my son and daughter have diffusers from this company and I was curious about them. Jennifer Connolly of A Well Styled Life at Escents in Victoria BC

Here is their blending bar where they will combine oils you love or need for different purposes.Escents aromatherapy shop on A Well Styled Life

These little diffusers come with lights that cycle to different colors, or you can pause them on the color of your choice, or you can leave the light off. So far I like to let the colors rotate.aromatherapy diffusers on A Well Styled Life I had a hard time picking a diffuser because they were having a summer sale on many of them. They all act as a mild humidifier as it scents the air with delicious aromas.

Escents diffusser and essential oils on A Well Styled Life

I chose this one for our large living space because it will run for 3-5 hours and cover 500-800 square feet. You fill it with water, add 3-5 drops of oil and let it go. It has an automatic shutoff valve when it’s out of water. I use this Aquamarine Blend in it which promotes healing and mental clarity. It’s a 100% natural blend made with pure Palmarosa and Cedarwood essential oils.Escents mini diffuser on A Well Styled Life

I also bought this iMist diffuser to use in my office. It plugs into the USB port of my laptop and scents the air with a lemongrass, lavender and citronella blend which clears the air and smells fresh.

I’m hooked on diffusing essential oils and plan to add more to my repertoire.

Here are some of my favorite essential oils and their properties:

Lavender – supports relaxation and renewal. It is used to relieve stress and anxiety and helps induce sleep. It is one of the few essential oils that can be applied to the body full strength. I like to rub it into my temples, wrists and behind my ears.

Eucalyptus – helps to balance emotions and reduce tension while it soothes tired and sore muscles. It also assists with clearer breathing, supports overall respiratory health and helps eliminate the toxins in the air.

Rosemary – helps to improve mental clarity and reduces nerve tension, by stimulating and strengthening the entire nervous system and improving alertness and concentration.

Tee Tree – is a natural anti-bacterial, anti-fungal which reduces bad odors and can help stimulate the immune system. It’s used to treat infections and boost immunity.

Peppermint – supports digestion, boosts energy, reduces fever, headache and muscle pain relief. If I have a headache I hold the bottle under my nose and breathe deeply. I also pop a peppermint into my mouth is I am tired and it perks me right up:)

Rose – is used to improve mood and can reduce anxiety,

Have you used essential oils? Do you use a diffuser with them?

Thanks for reading ladies and have a great day!

1. July 29, 2018 / 4:17 am

Love the aromas from mint and lavender also! Just brings a wonderfully balanced sense of well being! My daughter in law mixes for me directly from essential oils and I must them through the house. ( don’t own a diffuser yet).
    Thank you for sharing…..btw, I love the deep pink top with white jean jacket. You look so pretty!

2. July 29, 2018 / 4:57 am

I’ve just got into EO via a friend of mine. So soothing. I love diffusing them and rolling them on. Really helping me with driving induced vertigo. You look lovely, as always. XO

• Laura
      July 29, 2018 / 5:10 am

Which oils do you use for vertigo?

July 29, 2018 / 7:41 am

That’s great news Jen! I have several roller balls which I love. Which one do you use for vertigo?

3. MemeeFoth
    July 29, 2018 / 5:07 am

I have used a diffuser for years and even used one in the classroom when I was still teaching high school. Even the students got interested in the scents, and on test days would ask me to put peppermint in the diffuser! Generally we put lemon or vanilla in it as those seemed to keep them relaxed. No lavender ever, ha! At home I use lemon in the summer and Sandalwood in fall. There are delightful blends for the holiday season, too. Enjoy yours!

July 29, 2018 / 7:44 am

Such a smart idea! I know how stimulating peppermint and lavender can be. My
      Mind is spinning with all the great possibilities for holiday time! EO are so wonderful plus I love their medicinal qualities!

4. July 29, 2018 / 6:04 am

Tea tree oil is like a miracle on acne. My kid uses it–we buy it at the pharmacy, where it’s half the price of places like Body Shop. It also works wonders on bug bites.

July 29, 2018 / 7:39 am

I love it. I had an infected cut on our trip and the tea tree cleared it right up! Great stuff.

5. J'Laine Bradley
    July 29, 2018 / 6:22 am

I love EO’s as well. Have been using them for several years now. I rub peppermint oil on my knees where I suffer from pain. It really helps.

July 29, 2018 / 7:38 am

Do you dilute it with a carrier oil? I’ve been reading how important that is.

July 29, 2018 / 7:10 am

I LOVE essential oils & have been using them for decades. I have a diffuser on my nightstand that I use each night. Lavender is always a go-to oil, and I also like to blend bergamot & frankincense.
    Can’t be without my essential oils!

July 29, 2018 / 7:37 am

I love bergamot too!! I’ll have to try that combo. I always go back to lavender because it always transports me to a calm place. I planned to use my small on by the bed but now that it’s on my desk I’ll need another one for the bedroom????

July 29, 2018 / 7:28 am

Be careful with tea tree oil as it is poisonous to dogs. I don’t know if it would affect them in a mister or diffuser.
    Lemongrass is wonderful and I am wondering if you used it in a diffuser on your patio, if it would keep the bugs at bay? I love using a Lavender on my bed sheets!

July 29, 2018 / 7:34 am

We have a ton of mosquitos here so it’s worth trying plus I love the fresh scent! I use tee tree only on my skin if something looks infected but I won’t use it in the diffuser. Good reminder Linda! Thanks

• Julie Peachey
      July 29, 2018 / 8:13 am

Yes I was just going to say that. I am a huge fan of tea tree as a disinfectant for minor wounds, but there have been numerous reports in veterinary papers of it being harmful to dogs even used as a room mister or a diffuser If can cause erratic behaviour and worst case, seizure

8. Tammy
    July 29, 2018 / 7:34 am

This is very knowledgable. I’m new to the oils and like all the information. Thank you

9. Lori
    July 29, 2018 / 7:42 am

Thanks! I am going to try the lavender mist and body butter for night time. I have also heard about Tea Tree oil being poisonous to dogs (fatal) even when used in a diffuser.

July 29, 2018 / 8:36 am

I’ve never tried essential oils. I think I’ll try the lavender in my bedroom at night. Anything, other than drugs, that will help me sleep better, will have me singing it’s praise.
    We are so fortunate to not have mosquitos on the island. I remember all those evenings when you would want to sit out and relax after a long day of work or while camping and minutes later the pesky mosquitos would find you. Hope the lemongrass helps.

11. Cynthia
    July 29, 2018 / 12:15 pm

I make a room spray for the bathroom using lavender and lemon (about 3 times as much lavender). Heavenly. And I used tea tree oil on mosquito bites for the first time — instant itch relief. thanks for the great ideas in this post.

12. Judy Myers
    July 29, 2018 / 1:00 pm

I love EOs and have been using them for years. My favorite company is edensgarden.com…free delivery and pure products. My favs are Age Defy Blend mixed with Rosehip Carrier oil for my only moisturizer, Good Night Synergy which I put on my wrists each night and also use in my diffuser next to my bed…I sleep like a baby and so does hubby; Relaxaton Blend which I use daily for much needed calmness. Have others but these are my go to one’s. I highly recommend Evens Gardens with no reservations.

13. Caren
    July 29, 2018 / 4:28 pm

I have a diffuser next to my bed. I use Saje tranquility.

July 29, 2018 / 9:00 pm

Great ideas! I can’t wait to try them! Pinned…

15. Laurie
    July 30, 2018 / 12:37 am

I have vertigo very often but if I smell Oregano it helps.
    New to oils but in the year I have used them I have cleared up a number of physical problems.
    My Doctor said to keep using them

July 30, 2018 / 4:35 pm

That’s good to know. Thanks for sharing Laurie

16. LA
    July 30, 2018 / 7:35 am

Efficacious mosquito repellant: One drop of tea tree oil in palm. A dribble of olive oil. Rub hands together and apply to skin. Works for me every time!

July 30, 2018 / 4:04 pm

Good to know because the mosquitos are thick here! Thanks