A New Stage of Life for Women Over 50

A New Stage of Life for Women Over 50

A new stage of life is exciting and scary at the same time. Isn’t that part of the thrill? My husband decided to retire last week. That’s certainly a new beginning for both of us. We’re thinking seriously of buying an RV to travel the country. Initially for several months, and if we like it, longer term. I will be blogging from the road!

Stepping Up Your Game in Retirement

Pam Lutrell and I began this series, Hit Your Style Sweet Spot, to help inspire women who are struggling with their appearance. Each week we choose a scenario to show how we dress to reach our style sweet spot. Your style sweet spot is when you feel confident about your appearance and know you’re sending the message you want people to see.

Last week we shared how we dress for BBQ season. This week we are dressing for new beginnings in our lives.

My husband and I have traveled in some remote parts of Oregon this week…stopping to shop for RV’s along the way.

Living in a large motorhome calls for a different wardrobe than suburban San Francisco.

If we buy an RV we’ll be staying in secluded places and casual campgrounds. Yesterday I got a running start on my possible attire…not! I missed my Style Sweet Spot by a long shot. It was the crack of dawn, here. The wind was howling, the cabin freezing and I needed caffeine in the worst possible way.

Cafe on Oceanside. Oregon

The only place to get some was the tiny cafe… 5 cabins down. I tossed on my parka, jeans, sneakers, sunnies and headscarf… then headed over. Seriously Jennifer…what were you thinking? This isn’t how I approach my normal day and it doesn’t work for me in any location.

Oceanside Beach, Oregon Coast

Even though my jacket remained zipped the entire time, I felt uncomfortable. I let the casual nature of the place influence what I thought might be acceptable for me. Big mistake! My self-confidence took a hit…as well it should.

Simple accessories on black and white feel right in any location.

A few hours later the sun came out and we hit the road for Portland. I was freshly showered, dressed and totally in my comfort zone.

This is where I hit my Style Sweet Spot. No matter where my new stage of life takes me I need to remember what builds my confidence and what damages it.

Now lets pop over and see how Pam hits her Style Sweet Spot.

xo Jennifer

SHOP THE POST

1. Tricia
    May 1, 2016 / 3:18 am

Hey, coffee is a BASIC NEED! And you did take time to accessorize with your necklace and earrings — points for that!

May 3, 2016 / 8:43 am

Thanks Tricia! Thank goodness for accessories 🙂

2. May 1, 2016 / 4:25 am

Maybe if you get an RV you will come to San Antonio! You always look great…no matter the circumstances!

3. May 1, 2016 / 4:36 am

When one is in need of caffeine, we do what we have to do.????☕️????

4. Debbie Carr
    May 1, 2016 / 4:44 am

Jennifer…..I know exacty what you mean……my husband and I are retired and just bought an RV too. We just got back from our first 2 week trip, and I loved it more than I thought I would. My husband does all he can to make sure I’m comfortable, but he has a hard time with wanting to drive longer periods driving than I want to, We are working on that and he’s finally getting it. It’s all a give and take. Have fun travelling.

May 3, 2016 / 8:42 am

I know what you mean about men wanting to drive too much. I told my husband my goal would be to spend lots of time parked. That’s the relaxong time for me.

5. Barbara Wilson
    May 1, 2016 / 5:28 am

We just bought an RV. I’m skeptical. I feel frumpy and out of sorts. You can’t let yourself go in one of these things. We’ll see how it goes.

May 3, 2016 / 8:41 am

Hang in there Barbara! I saw lots of frumpy on the road but I think the trick is planning and maintaining your own standards, set to the lifestyle. It would be easy to let yourself go…that’s what I struggled with and I was just in a remote motel!!

6. Pat
    May 1, 2016 / 6:34 am

Stop beating yourself up—you looked fine for an early a.m. coffee run. As long as one builds a wardrobe of pieces that play well together, a rushed grab should produce an acceptable outfit. And your travel plans sound delightful. Retirement is a gift denied to many, so enjoy!

May 3, 2016 / 8:39 am

It is a gift denied many, you’re right!! Its exciting and the possibilites are endless.

7. May 1, 2016 / 7:44 am

When you have your own RV you won’t have that problem, Jennifer. Can’t wait to hear what you decide. I remember the inaugural RV trip you took last year. Guess you guys liked it well enough to try again, eh? Sounds like a perfect adventure to me!

May 3, 2016 / 8:38 am

We’re still in the look, measure and plan stage, which is fun too! We did love it last year. We’ve actually rented RV’s several times and always had a blast!

8. Louise K.
    May 1, 2016 / 8:49 am

The RV life sounds enticing! I could live in the type of RV you pictured. They seem so nice and spacious inside. I’ve seen those shows on “Tiny Houses”, but it seems like the RVs are even nicer, and much more portable.

9. Donna Whisnant
    May 1, 2016 / 8:56 am

I am going to love you sharing your new journey and adventures. We have a travel trailer now but dream of RVing later after retirement. Thanks for sharing.

10. Helen
    May 1, 2016 / 9:03 am

Hi Jennifer,
    Love reading about your new phase of life and decisions you have to make. Also love the French Kade necklaces you share…haven’t clicked buy quite yet!! ????????????
    Was it in your blog that you mentioned a site for helping new bloggers?
    Love your outfits!!!!

May 3, 2016 / 8:36 am

There’s lots of great resources for new bloggers. I’d check google. You’ll find tons of help.

11. Canuck
    May 1, 2016 / 9:08 am

Oh, Jennifer. You can get away with that look when you are going west coast casual. In fact, many have turned the look into an art form.

Portland next. Looove Portland, but have a weakness for the Memphis Mafia from Voodoo.

Watch out for the Grimm!

May 3, 2016 / 8:35 am

They have turned it into an art form:)) I love Portland too…but the traffic, not so much.

12. May 1, 2016 / 10:31 am

That is really big news and I will be following along avidly y as you have these new experiences. It’s something I’d like to do also but my husband is a terrible driver and I don’t want to be responsible for maneuvering NRV everyday

May 3, 2016 / 8:34 am

I’d rather drive than be a passenger. It just takes getting used to. Of couse the shorter the easier, but also less commodious.

May 1, 2016 / 11:09 am

We boat which is much the same as RVing. It’s a very relaxed lifestyle. I want to be comfortable but still look presentable, especially when docked at a town/city. You certainly can’t take your whole wardrobe, so it’s liking packing for an extended trip. Everything has to go with more than one piece. I take three tops to one bottom.. And, one dressier outfit for a nice restaurant.
    We RVed all across the states a couple of times and thoroughly enjoyed it. It’s a great way to see the country at leisure. I like having my own bed and not having to eat in restaurants continually. A Keurig is a must ????

May 3, 2016 / 8:33 am

Great suggestion about the Keurig! Having our own bed is one of thebest parts of RVing. I hate hotels and motels.

14. Laurel
    May 1, 2016 / 1:57 pm

We have an agreement in our marriage that DH always goes for coffee in any hotel situation. 🙂

However, when I traveled extensively for work, I always threw in a pair of black yoga pants, a cute T and a baseball cap in case I had to go downstairs for my own coffee (gasp). You look perfectly acceptable for a coffee run in my world.

Look forward to you RV adventures. We’ve talked about this, but would probably rent first to make sure we like it.

May 3, 2016 / 8:32 am

We’ve rented a few times and liked it. Now it’s a matter of how big a commitment and $$ we want to spend doing it.

15. Ginger
    May 1, 2016 / 3:09 pm

Hey, you weren’t in your Jammies, that’s good enough. I’m all for looking nice but I think it’s possible to over do it. If you had a bra on, had washed your face, and your hair was neat you’re fine. I sometimes see women my age at the market looking like they’ve spent a lot of time preparing for their errand and it makes me a little sad, as if their lives are so empty a quick errand is an occasion for major dress-up.

May 3, 2016 / 8:30 am

A…but I was. I neglected to mention the top you see tucked into my jeans was my nightie! That’s why I felt so underdressed. I was.

16. j
    May 1, 2016 / 3:44 pm

Our family has retired and we bought an RV and boy have we had fun going all over places we have never been. Take the plunge and enjoy life rolling down the road. Happy days are here to stay is our motto. And on another note, I love your blog. Keep it up girl!

May 3, 2016 / 8:29 am

Thanks for the encouragement J!

May 1, 2016 / 4:16 pm

I have always had one foot in your style camp and another questioning why one’s identity is so tied to clothing and exterior appearance. I have to say, you looked just fine on your coffee outing. My suggestion, which I know you did not ask for, is dear heavens lighten up! Perhaps traveling through the country in an RV will help you see that there is a wide range of casual, comfortable, affordable clothing worn by others with their self esteem wholly in tact. You can learn from them too!

May 3, 2016 / 8:28 am

You’re right. Traveling in a trailer would probably change many things. One great thing is I could get my own coffee without leaving home :)) I guess what I forgot to mention is the top you see is my nightgown. That level of relaxed attire would never feel right for me…I hope!

18. Maggie
    May 1, 2016 / 5:00 pm

Hi Jennifer! Good friends of ours just bought a travel trailer and are really enjoying it. One of the bonuses is that they can bring their dog along. I don’t know if my husband and I will follow suit, but we are certainly following our friends’ adventures with much interest. Can’t wait to hear about your travels!

19. Atonia Walpole
    May 1, 2016 / 5:27 pm

I always smile when watching old movies and the woman climbs out of bed in full makeup with delightfully tossed hair, slips into her high heeled mules and fluffy robe. Truth, none of us look like that in the morning. At best a pale version of ourselves. My husband and take a coffee pot with us on road trips. One never knows what the hotel will provide. Loved your black and white outfit.

20. May 1, 2016 / 6:02 pm

We RV full-time in a motor home. I agree with you that too casual is uncomfortable for me. Limited closet space, equals limited wardrobe. I try to set up outfits in advance. I sometimes choose which outfit to don, based upon which jewelry I’d like to wear that day.

I’ve just set up my blog, which has no posts as yet. That will change soon!

If you have any questions, please drop me a note. I’ve learned a lot in the last 8 months.

Jaymalea

May 3, 2016 / 8:24 am

Thanks Jaymalea! I will have lots of questions for you!!

21. May 2, 2016 / 12:23 am

Hahaha,never would have thought you would show the first outfit! Strange how the wrong outfit can make you feel right. What stands RV for, I understand what you mean by it but dont know what it stands for.
    Have a great Monday!

May 3, 2016 / 8:23 am

Hi Nancy! RV stands for recreational vehicle. A trailer, 5th wheel or motorhome.

22. May 2, 2016 / 12:53 am

Lovely post. Always wanted to visit Oregon ever since I saw Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.

23. Noelle
    May 2, 2016 / 4:34 am

I bet you looked like many others in line! But why the scarf when you have that cute Panama to hide morning hair?

May 3, 2016 / 8:22 am

The scarf hide more and was the closest thing to grab 🙂

24. Pam
    May 2, 2016 / 4:52 am

Hi Jennifer,
    My husband and I have lived in an 220-320 sq ft RV(travel trailer) for the last 4 years, it has allowed me to work in different locations and my husband is retired. I retire this week and we will move to our retirement home, kind of backwards.

Good luck with your adventure.

Pam

May 3, 2016 / 8:21 am

Hi Pam..that gives me hope it could work in a trailer, which is what we are considering initially to see if we like the lifestyle.

25. May 2, 2016 / 10:11 am

Is that the inside of an RV kitchen?. That’s fabulous. I could get my head around that. I have a travel wardrobe that I really only pull out for vacations. It’s all matte jersey black slightly dressy pieces. Perhaps an RV wardrobe is in order. I know you’ll share your stylish solutions with us! xo

May 3, 2016 / 8:20 am

That is oart of the kitchen in a huge 5th wheel! I could do that too…but it’s big bucks! I would absolutely need an RV wardrobe. The shoes would change a lot!

26. May 2, 2016 / 12:01 pm

This cracked me up! I’m always afraid I’m going to run into someone I know in my small town, so I rarely venture out without some semblance of a style sweet spot. But I think I would have done the same thing you did in such a remote spot!

May 3, 2016 / 8:18 am

I know it was the remoteness that gave me the nerve to go out like this 🙂

27. May 2, 2016 / 5:46 pm

That’s exactly what my husband and I are wanting to do when he retires. I love Oregon especially the town of Umpqua. It’s my favorite place on Earth!

May 3, 2016 / 7:53 am

It’s really gorgeous! Our planing continues..:)