How I Dress to go Clothes Shopping

How I Dress to go Clothes Shopping

Do you ask other women’s opinion when you’re shopping for clothes? I don’t. Oh sure, if something seems borderline, I may ask a put-together woman what she thinks. But honestly, her opinion doesn’t help me decide. I follow my instincts. I also prefer to shop for clothes alone. Today I’m talking about dressing for an efficient, fast shopping trip. The only shopping for sport I do, is with my daughter, who I don’t see nearly enough of.

Hit Your Style Sweet Spot

Style has the power to transform your confidence. Working from the outside in, women can boost their confidence by hitting their Style Sweet Spot. Pam Lutrell and I began this new series, Hit Your Style Sweet Spot, to help those women who are struggling with their appearance. Each week we choose a scenario to show why, what and how we dress to reach our style sweet spot. Your style sweet spot is when you feel confident about your appearance and know you are sending the message you want people to see.

Two weeks ago Pam and I showed how we dress for airport travel. This week we are dressing for a shopping trip.

I’m sharing how I dress for a local shopping trip. I’d dress entirely differently if I were shopping downtown or in a fancy store. This is for the mall, in the burbs.

Easy on/off clothes make clothes shopping quick and easy.

My favorite French Kande Bracelet is also easy on and off because it’s threaded on a heavy stretch cord.

A hat? Are you serious Jennifer? You bet. After pulling clothes on and off over my head for several hours, my hair looks trashed. Nothing  is going to help it look better. So I wear a hat! The bonus is a hat adds instant panache to any outfit. My destroyed hairstyle is hidden and I get a little boost of chic.

Wearing clothes with no zippers, buttons or snaps makes clothes shopping easier.

For shopping. I prefer tops with no buttons or zippers. This Modernist Top from Stella Carakasi is a soft cotton and just pulls over my head. The pretty georgette trim adds a bit of femininity without fussiness. I just roll my lips in, to cover my lipstick, when I take it on and off.

Stretch and comfort are helpful for a full day of clothes shopping.

Pants with no zipper or snap. These Defining Moment Ankle Pants  from Stella Carakasi are perfect! They’re a Super Stretch TencelThey pull on and off in a flash and don’t bind. The top stitched seam runs down the hip and front of leg, rather than the side, which gives a slimmer look.

Wearing a hat for a full day of clothes shopping allows me to hide my terminally mussed hair.

I always wear shoes that slip on and off. Laces, buckles and zippers just slow the process down.

When I go clothes shopping I want to look nice enough to get the respect and attention I deserve. I also want to dress in clothes that are easy to get on and off.

This is my first experience wearing Stella Carakasi clothes and I love them! Their fabrics use natural fibers, are easy care and feel elegant on your body. The colors are delicious. Soft and sophisticated with subtle shading. The silhouette and shapes are unique and wearable. All around a win win!!

Now lets pop over and see how Pam hits her Style Sweet Spot..

xo Jennifer

Disclaimer: I chose and was provided these Stella Carakasi clothes. The opinions are all mine. My full disclosure statement is here.

1. April 3, 2016 / 3:11 am

You look so good in hats! I need to keep working with the trainer so I can wear sleeveless with confidence. And Stella’s clothes look great on you!

April 3, 2016 / 9:18 am

Thanks Pam. I love Stella’s things. My arms are not shapely or toned. I guess I just don’t care enough to worry about it:)

2. April 3, 2016 / 3:31 am

The hat is the perfect solution for hair that goes limp after all that “exercise”. I know exactly what you mean.
    You chose well! Those pieces from Stella Carakasi are so good looking on you.

April 3, 2016 / 9:17 am

I really like Stella Carakasi’s sophisticated colors and shapes! Hats save me many times:)

3. Susan W
    April 3, 2016 / 5:46 am

Stella Carakasi looks like a great line. I am curious about how you think their clothes fit. You look petite, can you tell us what sizes you purchased? I see alot of their size smalls are out of stock…

Thank you for sharing!

Susan

April 3, 2016 / 9:15 am

I am 5’4″. I think they fit true to size. I chose the small top and pants and they are snug but not tight. I weight 138 pounds and am larger on top than the bottom.

4. Carol LaRochelle
    April 3, 2016 / 5:53 am

JEnnifer, this is exactly how I dress when I go shopping most of the time. Also, the only persons judgement I truly know is in my best interest is my daughters!! We always tell each other the truth. We both LOVE to shop, a little too much I think! We use it as a time to socialize, shop, have lunch, whatever. We always have a nice time.

I personally love your style as it reflects my style most of the time.

Keep up the good work!

April 3, 2016 / 9:13 am

Thank you Carol! My daughter and I have such a wonderful time together. Shopping becomes a joy.

5. Catia
    April 3, 2016 / 6:41 am

Gorgeous top and well chosen colors. Feminine and though without fuss. I like it very much. Good idea with the hat , I wouldn’t have thought about it.
    Thank you for all your efforts!

April 3, 2016 / 9:12 am

Hats save me many times :). But for clothes shopping it’s invaluable. Have a great day!

6. April 3, 2016 / 6:43 am

I don’t particularly enjoy going shopping and trying on clothes, and wearing pieces that are easy to take off and put back on is a must; your choices seem perfect! I love the asymmetrical line of the top! Pretty necklace, too! And I love your hat tip! Great outfit!

April 3, 2016 / 9:04 am

Thanks Andrea. I used to enjoy clothes shopping but now it’s just about getting it accomplished.

7. Donna
    April 3, 2016 / 6:45 am

Excellent tip on wearing a hat to shop! My hair is always standing on end after pulling clothes on and off.

8. April 3, 2016 / 7:34 am

That bracelet is super stylish on you pretty lady! Happy Sunday!
    xx

9. Anne
    April 3, 2016 / 8:10 am

Love the look! I also make sure I wear any body shapers that I would usually wear with the outfit I’m shopping for. Not for workout clothes or really casual clothes,, but certainly a cocktail dress or smart casual or business outfit. Sometimes it makes all the difference in deciding whether clothes really flatter you.

April 3, 2016 / 9:02 am

A body shaper is really smart to wear if you’re trying on dresses!!

10. nancy
    April 3, 2016 / 10:23 am

Beautiful top youre wearing ! I always wear a dress without buttons or zipper when I go Shopping, Its just one piece and I dont take my shoes of, that is if I dont have to try on a pants!

April 3, 2016 / 11:36 am

Excellent point! You can just pull pants on without removing your dress or a skirt:)

11. Sarah
    April 3, 2016 / 1:29 pm

Really nice top, but at $128 it’s not happening here.

12. Jan
    April 3, 2016 / 3:47 pm

Did you recently talk about a crisp white shirt that had a fabulous back view? I thought it was asymmetrical but haven’t had any luck trying to find it again. Any suggestions please. Jan – Australia. Thanks

April 3, 2016 / 10:46 pm

It was a striped shirt from Soft Surroundings that had the detail on the back. I’m a big fan of crisp white shirts. The one u showed was gray and white stripe.

13. Carol
    April 3, 2016 / 3:49 pm

Nice post and I like these pants, I wonder how they would work for a tall person with long legs? Nice to see you at knitting the other day!

Carol

April 3, 2016 / 10:43 pm

Great to see you too! I’m short so I had to hem them under.

14. April 3, 2016 / 4:27 pm

I love shopping with my daughter. I’m also lucky to have a sister-in-law and a close friend who are fun to shop with and whose fashion advice I trust.

Comfort and easy on and off are paramount when shopping for clothes, but I also find that I get more attention and better service from sales people if I dress up a bit. I’d never thought of wearing a hat, but it makes good sense!

April 3, 2016 / 10:41 pm

I definitely get better treatment from sales staff when I look nice! Aren’t daughters the very best?:)

15. April 3, 2016 / 7:07 pm

Chic, comfortable and easy to get off and off! Yes m’am! xoxox, Brenda

April 3, 2016 / 10:40 pm

Works like a charm!!

16. Rose
    April 3, 2016 / 7:30 pm

Jennifer,
    Lovely outfit. Just recently hooked up with your blog again. Do you mind sharing where your colorful necklace is from? It adds just enough color and would go with so many things. And sometimes in the summer months you don’t feel like wearing a heavy-looking accessory but still need something. Thanks

April 3, 2016 / 10:39 pm

Hi Rose!! I bought this Chakra necklace at the Chopra center, in Carlsbad, when I was there for an event last year.

17. April 5, 2016 / 3:51 am

I love your style, Jennifer…you look fabulous! Great bracelet too!
    Have a good week ‘lady of style’
    Catherine xx

April 5, 2016 / 8:36 am

Thank you Catherine! xo

18. April 5, 2016 / 12:25 pm

Great ideas! It is always a pain to have to take off layer after layer, untying shoes, removing jewelry and so on. I like your idea better. Sweet and simple. Thanks for sharing. – Amy

19. April 6, 2016 / 4:03 am

Sadly the cold and wet English weather means we have to wear a few more layers – but as you say, keep them simple so easy to put on and off. Loved the top you featured – bring on the summertime and that would be perfect.

20. April 7, 2016 / 10:18 am

That’s a beautiful top!

21. April 7, 2016 / 4:28 pm

SO< there is an outing for us…….PLUS< there is a GLUTEN FREE spot on the corner!!!
    LOOK OUT MAY…………here WE come!XX

22. Pauline
    October 30, 2016 / 9:24 am

I would love to wear flats but I also have very short legs,knee to ankle and not slim, also my husband is very tall so I would look like a bit dropped off, so I tend to wear 2″ wedges. Not always stylish.

October 30, 2016 / 9:27 am

I hear you about height! I am 5’4″ and my husband is 6’4″. I frequently look like I am standing in a hole:)